The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plans for a 10g quarantine tank, I have everything for it, heater filter....... Anyways, I am have a few question and wanted to see what everyone would suggest.

Bare bottom or not?
To run it full time or only run it when I need it?
Based on that last question, to plant/add driftwood or not?

Those are the basic questions for now, I am sure more will arise in time. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
i keep a 10 gallon quarantine tank here and it has a plant in it at all times one fish and it of course stays running. you really never know when you are going to need it.

·
Super Moderator
11,935 Posts
For my quarantine aquarium:

Bare bottom, only run when I need it, and not planted and has no driftwood. It may have a few large stones, PVC pipes for fish to hide in, etc.

Otherwise, if you have an "always running" quarantine aquarium, you will run the risk of it developing into a "normal" aquarium. Then, you will need another aquarium for quarantine...and the vicious cycle continues.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and the vicious cycle continues.[/QUOTE said:
I understand that, I started with a 10g, then 28g, and now I have my 120g!! all in 2 years.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
For my quarantine aquarium:

Bare bottom, only run when I need it, and not planted and has no driftwood. It may have a few large stones, PVC pipes for fish to hide in, etc.

Otherwise, if you have an "always running" quarantine aquarium, you will run the risk of it developing into a "normal" aquarium. Then, you will need another aquarium for quarantine...and the vicious cycle continues.
Not only that, but you defeat the purpose of maintaining a QT tank if you don't sterilize it between use. All sorts of things (parasites, viruses, bacteria) can be transmitted between batches of fish that way.

I break mine down completey and rinse everything (including filter and heater) in bleach. I keep mine bare-bottomed and use resin driftwood and either plastic plants or disposable plant clippings.

I bring over either an established filter or filter media to the QT tank to "instantly cycle" it when I need to set it up for fish. But I sterilize that media (I usually use sponges, so then I just wash the sponge well and let it dry) before putting it back into the other tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts