The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Aquatek that never sealed quite right since I bought it. I mean it took a lot of fiddling around to get it to seal the first time and now it just leaks no matter what I do. Also their customer service sucks. Anyway, can someone recommend a quality off the shelf dual stage CO2 regulator? Every review of the ones I can find on Amazon is negative. Although I've not really seen any reviews for the UP Aqua one.

Can someone recommend a decent dual stage off the shelf CO2 regulator? Thanks.

PS. I read a good review of the Tunze so maybe that combined with a solenoid?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
There's only the one gla makes. It's overpriced. You would be better off to have someone build you one. (Or learn how to make your own. )

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, well, so first thing is, would this regulator in the for sale thread work as is? I'm ok with 24/7 CO2 injection for now until I can find a solenoid.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=570274&highlight=regulator

Also, seeing as shipping for these things take a couple of days. What should I do in the meantime with my tank. I think it'll be ok with a 2 day black out but then should I go low light and dose Excel until it gets here?

By the way, I really like how the Tunze regulator can be threaded onto the tank without tools so have you guys ever used one?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That's a great regulator but you'll need a whole postbody. Just use the Aquatek in the meantime while you're getting it built.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get an mini aquatek paintball regulator (which has much better reviews than their normal sized counterparts) and then just convert it for use on a standard co2 tank. I know people who use their GLA atomic regulator converted from paintball threads to cga 320 with no problems.

Amazon.com: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini: Pet Supplies

you can probably get them on ebay for cheaper.
I can't give Aquatek any more money. I just got an Azoo regulator on DFS. It's on sale right now and has decent reviews. This will get me through until I find a permanent replacement.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I can't give Aquatek any more money. I just got an Azoo regulator on DFS. It's on sale right now and has decent reviews. This will get me through until I find a permanent replacement.
I've only heard good things about the aquatek paintball regulator so they mustve done something right :red_mouth

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe you I'm just saying I can't give them money out of principal. Just not a great company to deal with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree. Plenty on here that make them as a hobby.

If they do they sure don't advertise it well if they are selling them. There are some that like to build that's for sure; some very knowledgeable folks. I would like a better one as well just don't have time to build one right now.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If they do they sure don't advertise it well if they are selling them. There are some that like to build that's for sure; some very knowledgeable folks. I would like a better one as well just don't have time to build one right now.
Problem with advertising is that pre sales are not permitted so that means that we have to build the whole regulator in one configuration which means if the buyer wants to do some sort of customization we have to take apart and leak test everything again. It's a real pita. I build regulators and put up sales threads for completed builds occasionally but most of my customers come by word of mouth from previous customers. Works better and I know exactly how the buyer wants it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem with advertising is that pre sales are not permitted so that means that we have to build the whole regulator in one configuration which means if the buyer wants to do some sort of customization we have to take apart and leak test everything again. It's a real pita. I build regulators and put up sales threads for completed builds occasionally but most of my customers come by word of mouth from previous customers. Works better and I know exactly how the buyer wants it.
It's like a speakeasy though, I had no idea anyone was building regulators for sale on the forums. It' a pain in the ass to hold a little inventory but at the same time, there's enough people that just want a simple bulletproof regulator that I think it's worthwhile to post something in the for sale forum.

I just want a reliable, working regulator that doesn't leak with a solenoid. I just think it's kinda dumb that none of these companies can do that. To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my Aquatek despite it's shortcomings except for the fact that it leaks. It's one thing to build something that doesn't work well, after all I know what I'm paying for, but it's another thing to build something that doesn't work at all.

I'm definitely building one myself. This Azoo regulator is just going to buy me some time. It's really annoying since my tank was slowly coming together and now some algae is coming back.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a friend who bought a unit from Harbor Freight and he claims it has worked quite well for well over a year with no end-of-tank dumps or anything else people are scared of from cheap units.
There are good and bad experiences with cheaper units. I'm not saying that they're all bad it's just that enough of them are bad or enough people have had bad experiences that it discourages people from using budget all in one regulators. For example the cheap needle valves that you can get on ebay from HK or china those work well enough and I know people who use them with no problems but I've also heard lots of complaint about fluctuating bubble count and variations with temperature etc. For me it's more a peace of mind kind of thing to just buy better quality stuff. One thing though, the solenoids on budget regulators is perhaps the biggest complaint because its usually the first thing to fail. The cheap regulator body itself is not bad, slap on a decent solenoid and needle valve and you're golden.

It's like a speakeasy though, I had no idea anyone was building regulators for sale on the forums. It' a pain in the ass to hold a little inventory but at the same time, there's enough people that just want a simple bulletproof regulator that I think it's worthwhile to post something in the for sale forum.

I just want a reliable, working regulator that doesn't leak with a solenoid. I just think it's kinda dumb that none of these companies can do that. To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my Aquatek despite it's shortcomings except for the fact that it leaks. It's one thing to build something that doesn't work well, after all I know what I'm paying for, but it's another thing to build something that doesn't work at all.

I'm definitely building one myself. This Azoo regulator is just going to buy me some time. It's really annoying since my tank was slowly coming together and now some algae is coming back.
I agree and thats why I put my units up for sale when I get around to finishing them. I actually have all the parts I need to complete the 5 regulators I have laying around but it takes a lot of work/time to finish all of them and put them up for sale. I just never really get around to it but when someone does pm me about putting one together, I'm actually motivated to finish it. This is just me though, I'm sure others aren't as lazy as I am :icon_redf Another thing is that most people that do build custom regulators only really build high end ones that command a higher price. I rarely build budget regulators which is what most people are looking for because it's simply not worth the time investment. Usual prices for dual stage setups are 250-400 range which most people aren't willing to pay.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are good and bad experiences with cheaper units. I'm not saying that they're all bad it's just that enough of them are bad or enough people have had bad experiences that it discourages people from using budget all in one regulators. For example the cheap needle valves that you can get on ebay from HK or china those work well enough and I know people who use them with no problems but I've also heard lots of complaint about fluctuating bubble count and variations with temperature etc. For me it's more a peace of mind kind of thing to just buy better quality stuff. One thing though, the solenoids on budget regulators is perhaps the biggest complaint because its usually the first thing to fail. The cheap regulator body itself is not bad, slap on a decent solenoid and needle valve and you're golden.
Neilshieh, what do you think about a tap regulator as the 80% solution you know, assuming getting the usual quality stuff for everything else? I just need something that doesn't leak, won't EOTD (45 psi blow off so I don't care if it's only single stage), and cheap to replace.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Assuming that by tap regulators you're talking about something like this (http://morebeer.com/products/dual-gauge-co2-regulator-taprite.html?gclid=CITWi_HHqr0CFVJffgodfR4A0g) they work fine. Keggers use them to regulator the gas coming from co2 cylinders just like we do.
any of these would work too (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/co2-premium.shtml)

If you want something even better you can get a low pressure regulator that regulates the low pressure coming from your single stage regulator. You get very stable co2 delivery like this also.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only heard good things about the aquatek paintball regulator so they mustve done something right :red_mouth
I will tell you from personal experience I am going through right now that I would not recommend anyone to purchase the paintball regulator unless they want to replace it in a year or are okay with risking live stock. The company is terrible with support and the product quality is very iffy for the price.

Mine worked okay only a short while, long enough for the short warranty to expire, then decided to be fussy as all heck. Will be fine one week, decides to blow CO2 out the next. Will turn on and off like a champ for a few weeks then will decide to just stay off one day until you replug it in a few times. Just spend a bit more and save yourself the hassle is what I would say. (I have owned it a year and a few months now)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts