The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so, today i came home from school, and i was looking at birds when dad came out to me and informed me that he went into my room earlier today, and there was a burning plastic smell coming from the desk lamp on my aquarium, so he had to unplug it.
i figure this resulted from it being on for long periods of time, since most desk lamps aren't designed for that.
so, the question:
what's a quality desk lamp i could use? my aquarium's a standard 5.5 gallon, but currently holds more around 4 or 4.5. i need something that can run a 13 watt CFL daylight for a ~12 hour photoperiod every day.
i need an answer quickly since all i have running on my tank right now is a like... .4 watt LED clip-on.

thanks in advance,
cat

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anything at a Home Depot or Lowes that is a desk lamp (especially a metal one, that orients the bulb vertically towards the tank, and I know there are a variety at each store) will do fine. The metal housing will reduce the problems of heat on the bulb, and the vertical orientation will ful the PAR you get off the bulb.

Any desk lamp there will be UL approved and should have no trouble with a lit bulb for 6-12 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything at a Home Depot or Lowes that is a desk lamp (especially a metal one, that orients the bulb vertically towards the tank, and I know there are a variety at each store) will do fine. The metal housing will reduce the problems of heat on the bulb, and the vertical orientation will ful the PAR you get off the bulb.

Any desk lamp there will be UL approved and should have no trouble with a lit bulb for 6-12 hours a day.
okay, thanks :> the first one we bought was metal, but it ran this weird sort of bulb that wasn't mentioned on the box, and didn't come in a daylight variety, so we had to go back and get another one which i think was mostly plastic. i should be able to find a normal metal one though, thanks again!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got an Ikea Tertial as well, the only thing is that it's a clamp lamp, so it needs an edge.
that wouldn't be a problem, as my tank's rimless (basically the reason i don't want to just get a lid with a light in it lol), but my dad and i went over to lowe's today and got a small desk lamp and a couple bricks to raise it up on, i think it's actually better positioned than my old light was. thanks for your suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts