The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying to invest in another canister filter for my 55 gallon... I'm scared of which brand to go with though because the last one I had, the Hydor 350 canister filter had a leak in one of the valves and had to return it.

Money isn't as big as a deal as getting something that is more premium in terms of quality. I would prefer not to spend more than around 200 though. I'm currently looking at the Fluval 406 which I've heard great things about and not so great things about.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Will have to agree with the others, eheim is a solid canister manufacturer. With that said, they also have their cheaper models.
I have (among other brands) an AquaTop filter that seems a little flimsy at first, but the overall design is solid and the pump is very quiet. If you are a diy type, the intake and output plastic parts are not the best, but are easily replaced with better units.
The new Marineland canister looks to be a good unit also.
Have heard good and bad regarding Fluval canisters except for the FX5/6

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking about trying to invest in another canister filter for my 55 gallon... I'm scared of which brand to go with though because the last one I had, the Hydor 350 canister filter had a leak in one of the valves and had to return it.

Money isn't as big as a deal as getting something that is more premium in terms of quality. I would prefer not to spend more than around 200 though. I'm currently looking at the Fluval 406 which I've heard great things about and not so great things about.

Any suggestions?
There's all kinds of threads and posts attesting to problems with Fluval Canister Filters; mainly leaks, etc. I had an Eheim as a kiddie about 30 years ago and decided to get another one and see how they are made these days. Good luck to you...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Isn't the National Geographic canister sold at Petsmart an Eheim that has been re-badged? The Fluval canister filters are top quality and have been for years. You can't go wrong with a Fluval 406.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't the National Geographic canister sold at Petsmart an Eheim that has been re-badged? The Fluval canister filters are top quality and have been for years. You can't go wrong with a Fluval 406.
Yup. They sometimes have them on sale. I've never had any problems with anything Fluval branded though. I currently use the AquaClear line and their the best HOB out there obviously. I also used to use the Fluval U4 filters and they were outstanding too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yup. They sometimes have them on sale. I've never had any problems with anything Fluval branded though. I currently use the AquaClear line and their the best HOB out there obviously. I also used to use the Fluval U4 filters and they were outstanding too.
You can get a Fluval 406 on Amazon for $179 with free shipping. This is a good buy! The 406 on a 55 would do an outstanding job. They run dead quiet too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
National Geographic canister motor i believe is the only eheim part in the design of it.
If money isn't a issue, then i'd just stick with the eheim product line. Worth every penny that you can find quite regularly on craiglist used for cheap, but still have a lot of life left in them. The 2028 was always one of my favorites. I'd say what size you want would be best based on what you intend on keeping in the tank. Whats the over all plan?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats the over all plan?
Not really entirely sure yet.

You can get a Fluval 406 on Amazon for $179 with free shipping. This is a good buy! The 406 on a 55 would do an outstanding job. They run dead quiet too.
Where do you see that? Is it used? The only thing I see is the Fluval 406 for 199 with Amazon Prime shipping with my membership.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Eheim 2217
+1

I have a 2215 and a SunSun HW-302 on my 55 but its almost fully stocked. A 2217 would do the job but you might have to add a powerhead or circulation pump as the Eheims are very filtration efficient but feature lower flow rates than their competitors.

I have a Fluval 306 and I like it the least of my 3 canisters. Its the most difficult to get the air bubbles out of after I clean it, the tubing it comes with is garbage and not appropriate for inline equipment, it doesn't come with a spray bar and its the most expensive option for no apparent reason.

I am very fond of my SunSun however, despite its being the cheapest I own. They're at least worth a look.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd say Fluval is a quality canister filter. I've had my Fluval 306 for about 5 years now, no issues. Every cleaning I clean and check the impeller and also apply a generous amount of food grade silicone grease on the rubber gasket. Flow is still good, only had to replace the large foam pads once.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.