The Planted Tank Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, Mayaca fluviatilis is looking a little better as of last night:

Rotala bossii is looking very nice:

Ammania bonsai is still rotting away at the roots / base. This is 24 hours after replanting them all, they are already swaying in the current as if the stem base is made from jello:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
House is up for sale (don't worry, the tank is coming with me and nothing will change) so I've been living at my girlfriends place for almost a week now while the agent is showing the place. I've been around to check in on things, but no time for a water change or any maintenance at all really. It's due for a trim, but finally the groupings are filling in. I gave the tank a 10ppm PO4 booster mid week, NO3 and K should be in check, auto doser is keeping up with the micros.

Full tank:

Left:

Right:

Rotala bossii:

Ludwigia guinea (senegalensis)

A. bonsai has melted to virtually nothing:

Some sort of hair algae has crept in:

Overall not too bad, algae is limited and I'll attribute that to running the tank on full throttle without me being around for over a week. Nothing I can't handle.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
** Long Post / Rambling Below ** *Read at your own risk ;) *

Tank has been on auto pilot for a while now - I haven't changed a single thing:

1 x weekly 68% water change.
1 x mid-week 10ppm full tank volume PO4 booster dose (20ppm full tank volume / week).

Incoming RO water is targeted at:
12.5ppm NO3
15ppm PO4 (roughly 10ppm full tank volume)
25ppm K
25ppm Ca
12.5ppm Mg
0.0 degrees KH

Pre-water change test results:
NO3 - 5ppm
PO4 - 1.0ppm - 2.0ppm (soil is slowly giving in on the PO4 uptake)

I did notice an Amano shrimp died, perhaps this tank just isn't cut out for shrimp. I'm starting to lean towards simply keeping a separate shrimp tank vs trying to make them work in this tank. This should allow me more fish stocking flexibility.

Currently feeding a high quality, finely crushed flake (50% algae based + 50% all-purpose whole fishmeal based) and frozen baby brine shrimp. I have a micro worm starter culture on order, so ill mix in some live feedings once I get my own culture going.

My house sold with a quick closing date. No worries, I've dedicated an entire day to moving this tank, so I won't be rushed. I've moved tanks before, so I'll do as I always do. It should go smooth if I have everything in place prior to moving it.

I'm thinking of a few changes during the move:

1) Re-run some filter tubing so the intake is on the opposing side of the tank vs the output of each filter. I think this should help further mix up the water. I've got some noticeable flow issues despite the high tank turnover.

2) Install a second reactor inline with my other Eheim 2217. Currently I am using a single reactor connected to one of the 2217's. I have an old reactor in storage that I can likely use on with the other 2217. This should help dissolve the gas a little quicker and reduce the noisy gas bubble. I would have to experiment with methods on splitting the gas equally between 2 reactors. I want to use 1 check valve, and have the Tee after check valve... we will see.

Plants are a little messy, only 1 or 2 species left that haven't quite adjusted. The rest are growing well, still waiting on the grouping to fill in (I've been leaving most trimmed stumps to gain some inventory, hence the groupings being a little messy).

I've ordered more Crypt lutea 'Hobbit' for the front right / middle to increase that grouping's density, and some Bacopa caroliniana + Tonina fluviatilis to replace the Ludwigia ovalis (too aggressive) and lindernia rotundifolia (not happy with how it's growing / how it looks). I might keep some lindernia rotundifolia to use as a mid ground plant because it isn't a fast grower in my tank.

Rotala 'Red Cross' got swallowed up by other plants and isn't looking too hot, so I moved it to a temporary spot out in the open to try and save it.

I removed the last of the Ammania bonsai - I couldn't save it. I replaced it with a small grouping of Crypt petchii 'pink' and a small grouping of Pogostemon helferi. I also added about a thousand Crypt parva crowns around most of the front left groupings. I think it will look really cool in a few months when they fill in.

Current FTS:

Left side:

Right side:

Mermaid Weed growing well, it's just not colouring up:

Cabomba piauhyensis:

Crypt flamingo:

Current parameters (minus the mid-week 10ppm PO4 dose)

Sorry for the long post, just getting all my ideas / thoughts out onto paper :geek:

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Great update!!

Glad to see things are coming along so well. Plants look healthy and happy. Have a feeling this tank will only get better and better.

Looked over your dosing and will be curious to see if you can keep NO3 that low long term. I was able to when soil was fresh, but eventually needed more. Only time will tell.

And I have moved tanks before. One thing I have learned is that they come down a lot faster than they go back together. Good luck on the move and hope everything goes smoothly.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Looked over your dosing and will be curious to see if you can keep NO3 that low long term. I was able to when soil was fresh, but eventually needed more. Only time will tell.
NO3 dosing will increase shortly.

I didn't want to change too much right before the move, so I left it.

I was slightly surprised to see the NO3 test so low right before a water change, but it will certainly get bumped up in the near future.

I also want to experiment with a little bit of Cl dosing, see where that takes things.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats on a great looking tank and good luck with the move!

A couple of questions

1. What is Trigger under your micros recipe?
2. In the first tank pic what is the dark purple(?) plant to the left of what appears to be AR?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Congrats on a great looking tank and good luck with the move!
Thanks! The move should go well, I'll prep everything prior to it / have everything ready to go.

1. What is Trigger under your micros recipe?
Trigger is a branded name for a biostimulant called EB 97. It's an additive we introduce into liquid fertilizers that increases the rate at which plants produce stress hormones allowing them to enhance root development and growth rate, optimize nutrient uptake and use, and improve plant vigour and uniformity.

I used to sell a lot of it for use in agriculture when I was at my old job. It's carried in a diluted liquid urea ammonium nitrate solution. It's needed in very little quantities - 100-200 grams of EB 97 per acre for row crops, much more for high value crops (fruit, veg, herbs etc. get treated with that rate every other week). Foliar or broadcast applications.

I figure it can't hurt anything, and I have access to it to I might as well use it ;)

2. In the first tank pic what is the dark purple(?) plant to the left of what appears to be AR?
That is a plant called Echinodorus aflame. Mine have some slight twisting going on with the leaves, but I'm hoping they will correct themselves with time. I want to increase the grouping of these because they do offer that deep purple colour which is quite unique.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts