The Planted Tank Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Good looking plant!

These things take time but looks like everything is moving in the right direction.

I am predicting great things for this set up!
It's tough to tame it once it gets going, I'm sure you don't need convincing on how fast the plants that like your soup can grow!

For being my first tank properly using an active substrate, lots of light and lots of CO2 I think it's progressing steadily. A few hiccups but nothing major.

Biggest problem is tracking down a plant supplier with any sort of half decent selection. Even the tissue culture stock is low almost everywhere I look, and when I find some local I get maybe a little clump that's worth trying to save.

Tank looks like it's cycled - 5-6 days without a water change and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 - 30 ppm for nitrate. Phosphate was 1ppm or less! Might be why the plants started to act up on me... Maybe I can get away with weekly water changes but Id have to give PO4 a mid week booster shot.

I went to 2 new LFS's in London - Older gent with I think his son at the one place, cool store, not much for us plant nerds but I did find some crypts and moss for this tank and my shrimp tank. The other place was just a kid running the place, probably my age or younger - Mostly reef and salt stuff but he is into planted tanks and really liked my setup when I showed him. Grabbed some tissue culture plants from him. I'll try my luck at trading in some samples of my trimmings to these guys to hopefully spruce up their plant holding tanks and make them less "Tropica copy and paste".

Grabbed 3 oto cats as testers, I only saw 1 head up to the surface and grab a gulp of air, then right back down. They were all playful and swimming around at the peak of the pH drop so... I think I'm just under the limit of how much CO2 I can pump in. I left it at 20cc / min but angled the spray bar up a little for more surface agitation - If the pH doesn't get to the 5.10 level because of the increased gas exchange, I'll bump it a little.

I want to make sure the tank is set and ready for Tuesday when 75 fish show up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don’t worry about blowing plants I had like 30 turnover in my 40. You point the power head vertically so it makes waves, just don’t get floaters and it works very well

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Fish, plant and shrimp shipment arrived, everything alive and healthy.

57 Chili Rasbora
27 Celestial Pearl Danio
3 Amano Shrimp
13 Tangerine Tiger Shrimp

Ludwigia palustris 'green'
Gratiola viscidula
Rotala 'Red Cross'
Rotala macrandra 'Mini Pink'
Ludwigia guinea (senegalensis)
Lobelia cardinalis 'wavy'
Rotala bossii

The Tangerine Tiger shrimp joined the Blue Diamond shrimp in my 10 gallon shrimp only tank. Once each population has grown, I'll begin transferring some of the younger mature shrimp into the 45 gallon tank and see how they fair.

As for the fish, everything was healthy, I decided to turn the CO2 on and keep a close eye on everyone. A small group of 4-5 Chili Rasboras hung out at the surface, I only saw 1 or 2 gasping for a few seconds before they got skittish and swam off. However, I found 1 stuck in the intake screen of the Eheim 2217 running at full flow. I removed it and put it out of it's misery, I found another a few minutes later, put it out as well.

I woke up this morning to 4 additional Chili Rasbora stuck in the intake screen. I removed them, and placed some scrap sponge over both of the 2217 intake's.

Now, I'm not sure if they were just weak fish, the CO2 got to them, or they simply swam too close to the intakes by accident. Regardless, I'll feel more comfortable running intake sponges. I've got some more attractive black sponges being shipped out this week.

Not sure if any made it into the actual filter or not, their tails got stuck in the intake screen, their heads were too big to be sucked in completely. Gruesome way too go out I suppose, poor guys. Impossible to get an accurate count on 50+ 1/2" fish.

FTS after a small rescape and trim:

Newly added fish handing out in the back corners:

FTS of the shrimp tank:

Blue Diamond:

Tangerine Tiger:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Da#$ man, even your shrimp tank has awesome red plants. Don't tell me you run t5's and dirt there too? I was wondering what you got from plantguy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Da#$ man, even your shrimp tank has awesome red plants. Don't tell me you run t5's and dirt there too? I was wondering what you got from plantguy.
The red plants are AR 'cadinalis' from ABC Plants. The 2 on the right have been in the tank for 2 weeks after growing them that big and healthy in the 45 gallon. The other ones in the center and on the left were just planted before taking that picture, so by no means did I get them like that low tech.

The shrimp tank has 2 x 23w CFL "cool white" bulbs in a DIY hood painted white on the inside. Eheim 2211 canister, coal slag / Flourite black mix, no dirt, no fertilizer, testing 0's with all my test kits. I threw in some DIY root tabs under the AR however, too early to tell if they will grow in this tank or not.

All the plants I listed in my previous post came from John.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I think I've caught Collectoritis :oops: I'll give my Visa a break until I'm ready to order more fish. 50+ Chili rasboras and 25+ CPD's, the tank looks lifeless still. I'll double these numbers in a month or two plus grab some other species.

• Anubias nana ‘Petite’
  • Crypt flamingo
  • Crypt parva
  • Crypt lutea ‘Hobbit’
  • Hygrophila Araguaia
  • Lobelia cardinalis
  • Ludwigia palustris
  • Ludwigia palutris ‘green’
  • Rotala macrandra ‘Mini Pink’
  • Ammania bonsai
  • Echinodorus aflame
  • Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
  • Blyxa japonica
  • Microsorum windelov
  • Rotala ‘Red Cross’
  • Lagenandra meeboldii ‘red’
  • Gratiola viscidula
  • Ludwigia arcuate
  • Mayaca fluviatilis
  • Cabomba piauhyensis
  • Rotala wallichii
  • Ludwigia ovalis
  • Rotala bossii
  • Myriophyllum tuberculatum
  • Ludwigia palustris
  • Proserpinaca palustris
  • Rotala macrandra
  • Lindernia rotundifolia
  • Ludwigia repens ‘Rubin’
  • Rotala H’ra
30 species in total.

The only one struggling at the moment is Myriophyllum tuberculatum for some reason. Usually it's the fastest growing species for many of us. It's got some bending / twisting / leaning issues. I'll have to clean up the groupings after nursing a bunch of species back to health, toss the old growth and keep the fresh new growth.

The livestream camera I am using does emit some IR light ... I wonder if that is causing certain plants to lean forward? Not sure if that's possible or not, but I've remotely shut it off and will only use it when I know the tank lighting is on. The room is virtually dark throughout the entire day - West facing window with black curtains pulled closed, room door shut through the day...

Going to shoot for weekly water changes now but keep up with my PO4 loading until I see the soil give in.

"I didn't hear no bell" - Aquasoil

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
well, admitting u have a problem is the first step to a cure. The second step, is sending me most of your problem!! (insert emoji here)
You still haven't sent me your species request list of my trimmings ;)

Do you have a journal set up for your tank(s)?

·
Registered
76 Posts

I haven't done 1 for my shrimp tank.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Current tank pic below.

Seems everything is moving as it should. I did my first water change with fish in the tank, no issues. GSA was creeping in finally, I scraped down the glass.

Rotting roots on the Ammania bonsai has been a huge issue.
Myriophyllum tuberculatum is still bending / twisting.
Blyxa japonica had some rotting issues at the crown base.
In the lower flow areas there seems to be a nasty protein web / film growing (on the Anubias nana 'Petite' and the Blyxa).

Everything else seems good. I just have to let each grouping catch up to one another and start playing with individual groupings to get them looking good / mix well with the others. The tank has been on auto pilot, I just need a little time to get the tank filled in more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Still looking nice and waiting for the "fill in" to happen.

Autopilot is a great thing! I do not know enough about the planted side of things yet but, on the reefing side, typically when a system gets to a point where it goes on autopilot, the keeper changes something. I know, it is counterintuitive but many reefers cannot leave well enough alone. We'll see if this holds true with planted people!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quick question for you... Does the Echinodorus Aflame need to be in an active substrate, or can they thrive with only water column feeding? I really like the look of that plant, but I'm using BDBS and really don't want to get into the world of root tabs.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Still looking nice and waiting for the "fill in" to happen.

Autopilot is a great thing! I do not know enough about the planted side of things yet but, on the reefing side, typically when a system gets to a point where it goes on autopilot, the keeper changes something. I know, it is counterintuitive but many reefers cannot leave well enough alone. We'll see if this holds true with planted people!
I'll certainly end up changing things sooner rather than later. I think I'm moving in a month or two, and moving a tank like this will definitely induce some short term issues!

See below for the thin spots I need some time with to fill in. I've got the species planted there, but they are new and need time to catch up to the original plants.

Quick question for you... Does the Echinodorus Aflame need to be in an active substrate, or can they thrive with only water column feeding? I really like the look of that plant, but I'm using BDBS and really don't want to get into the world of root tabs.
It shouldn't need a nutrient rich substrate, I had in in a coal slag / Flourite mix prior to this tank, and it grew very well with limited ferts.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I can relate to this. I always have a vision of where the tank will be when this or that fills in, propagates more, etc. Funny thing is by the time it does it's usually all been moved around anyway.:D
I'm already moving things around in my head.

Mayaca fluviatilis is just not growing how I would like it to, and it's too weak of a stem plant to be near the filter intake. So I'm looking for a green, sturdy stem plant for that corner.

Myrio tuberculatum is acting up, so I'm already at peace throwing it in the trash if it doesn't smarten up.

Ludwigia ovalis is just so aggressive, so I'm at peace tossing it too, maybe it's a nice fit for in front of the filter intake.

Ammania bonsai is perfect fit for where I want it placed, but if it continues to rot at the roots / stem base, I'll replace it too.

I've finally found the will power to give up on species that I fight day in and day out, and swap them for plants that enjoy my soup :)

Any recommendations on sturdy, back ground green plant species capable of living near the filter intake? Maybe nymphoides hydrophylla 'taiwan'?

What about something green to replace the Ammania bonsai in the mid ground? Star. repens maybe but... I don't like how it's prone to melting randomly as it gets too thick, and I've already got L. cardinalis in the tank. Bacopa 'compact' I'm okay with trying again but... it's really aggressive and is the exact same colour as my Crypt parva.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I've finally found the will power to give up on species that I fight day in and day out, and swap them for plants that enjoy my soup :)

Any recommendations on sturdy, back ground green plant species capable of living near the filter intake? Maybe nymphoides hydrophylla 'taiwan'?

What about something green to replace the Ammania bonsai in the mid ground? Star. repens maybe but... I don't like how it's prone to melting randomly as it gets too thick, and I've already got L. cardinalis in the tank. Bacopa 'compact' I'm okay with trying again but... it's really aggressive and is the exact same colour as my Crypt parva.
LOL enjoy my soup! As close to a Greggz'ism as there is!!

I was going to suggest the Taiwan. Steady grower. No drama. Little care. And great leaf shape and color. Others that might work might be Limnophila Chinesis or Rugosa? Or even a tall Syngo like Sp. Meta?

As to the Bonsai, I would actually give it a bit more time. Some plants don't like fresh soil and it takes them a while to figure it out. If not, maybe a Tonina?

And I get what you said about moving stuff around in your head. I do it all the time. It's like a puzzle that is never quite solved.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I was going to suggest the Taiwan. Steady grower. No drama. Little care. And great leaf shape and color. Others that might work might be Limnophila Chinesis or Rugosa? Or even a tall Syngo like Sp. Meta?

As to the Bonsai, I would actually give it a bit more time. Some plants don't like fresh soil and it takes them a while to figure it out. If not, maybe a Tonina?
I'd like the idea of the Taiwan a bit more if I had it in sand... Easy to uproot the big root system, toss the mother and keep the largest daughter, but with soil I think it might be a bit too messy. I had the idea of a tall Crypt spiralis / balansae but I don't want to deal with unseen runners popping up 36" away from the mother plant.

A Limnophila species is certainly an option on the table.

I gave Tonina fluviatilis a shot when I initially set up the tank, it wasted away to nothing in 3 days from a TC cup. When my supplier has more C. lutea 'Hobbit' in stock I'll grab another cup of Tonina fluviatilis and give it a shot.

Possibly Lloydelia nummularia - Super hardy species that can grow in a toilet, but it sends out loads of water column roots like it owns the place.

I'm giving the bonsai one last stint. If the bottoms rot away on me again, I'll toss them and keep the 2-3 stems that are settled in only. Give the area a thorough cleaning and replace with Pogo helferi / Hygrophila 'compact' / Bacopa 'compact' or a shorter, off-green Crypt like Undulata 'red' or lucens.

Another one to note is the Mermaid Weed, not going red at all even as it approaches the surface. I've only given it 1-2 trims as it was a species that rebelled against the fresh soil and I only recently tossed the ratty bottoms, so I'll give it more time with the nice tops replanted before I decide to keep it or not. If it stays a washed out yellow colour, I'll get rid of it.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts