The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What type of pump are you getting? An oil-less type I hope.

Here's the one I am using. I'm pumping up 14+ feet. Works great. They have a smaller one too.

Harbor Freight Creekstone Pump
Mine is a waterfall pump just like that, listed as "high lift" but only at 1600gph. I've got 8 feet to pump up so hopefully it's strong enough. It's listed for use with ponds / aquariums, so I assume it's oil-less.

If not, I'll really have to bump up the power, fork out the money and get a much larger one.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Continuing with water changes every other day. I've got a door panel and a canopy roughed in, just need to paint and attach magnets so they stay put but are removable for maintenance.

Look's like the LED / T5-HO hybrid days are doomed. Fluval plant lights are amazing... but the touch button is their achilles heel. The button is just terrible. No way to determine what percentage you are running the light and if it gets wet or you use it with water on your finger... good luck. But, those can be easily worked around, nothing but an annoyance. The real problem is the electromagnetic interference from a working T5 ballast causes the touch button to FREAK OUT making the light completely useless. I reached out the Fluval customer support on the issue, but I haven't heard back. The light works perfect when the nearest T5 is off, but once powered up it causes this:

So, looks like the LED will be sold and I'll pick up 2 more T5-HO's!

New pump works perfect, easily brings water up from the basement at a respectable rate:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Continuing with water changes every other day. I've got a door panel and a canopy roughed in, just need to paint and attach magnets so they stay put but are removable for maintenance.

Look's like the LED / T5-HO hybrid days are doomed. Fluval plant lights are amazing... but the touch button is their achilles heel. The button is just terrible. No way to determine what percentage you are running the light and if it gets wet or you use it with water on your finger... good luck. But, those can be easily worked around, nothing but an annoyance. The real problem is the electromagnetic interference from a working T5 ballast causes the touch button to FREAK OUT making the light completely useless. I reached out the Fluval customer support on the issue, but I haven't heard back. The light works perfect when the nearest T5 is off, but once powered up it causes this:

So, looks like the LED will be sold and I'll pick up 2 more T5-HO's!

New pump works perfect, easily brings water up from the basement at a respectable rate:

Happy you got the pump that works well for you!

As for the interference with the lights, this may be a decent solution. However, I will say that I believe your best option would be to run all T5s but, then again, I'm partial to T5 (even though I presently do not run them).

Also, in case you're looking for a good place to get good magnets;

Keep the updates coming! (y)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Fluval Customer support got back to me - they don't have a solution and offered 1 potential fix: try and move the fixture as far away from the T5's as possible or use something to block the interference from the T5's.... Both of which won't work on my tank.

I reminded them there is actually a tried and true fix... Sell it and go with all T5-HO's ;) So that's the current plan!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Fluval Customer support got back to me - they don't have a solution and offered 1 potential fix: try and move the fixture as far away from the T5's as possible or use something to block the interference from the T5's.... Both of which won't work on my tank.

I reminded them there is actually a tried and true fix... Sell it and go with all T5-HO's ;) So that's the current plan!
Does the sunblaster interfere just like the other fixture does?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Does the sunblaster interfere just like the other fixture does?
They both do, when I had the Fluval and the Aquatic Life fixture on a 90 gallon (resting on the plastic rim, no canopy) the Fluval would still act up from time to time. Even on this tank before the SunBlaster was installed, I caught it acting up once like that.

Long story short, I don't want the headache and the constant checking in on the tank to make sure the Fluval light isn't creating a disco party in my office, I check in on the tank enough as is ;) I mean... I bought a live stream security camera for the sole purpose of being able to check in on this tank whenever I want (to make sure lights and CO2 are on / off or to ensure I haven't flooded my house).

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
2 more T5 units ordered for a total of 5 bulbs, and 5 coloured bulbs are also in shipping. The tank was on hold for this past week, Life threw me an opportunity and had to jump on it. Unlucky for me, but luckily for this tank, the opportunity fell through so I can focus on it once more!

No water changes over the past few days - almost a week. I think the ammonia has risen and caused some melt in a few species, but nothing horrific. Plants are still steadily growing, pearling like crazy, I think I might be driving them a little too hard off the start. At the first sign of algae I'm backing off the light.

Back on to proper maintenance starting with a waterchange tonight. I'll also be finishing off the stand and canopy this week, and begin testing for ammonia / phosphate regularly to get a grasp on the parameters.

When the new lights show up, I'll find a combo I like and set up a few channels for various bulbs after mounting them in the canopy.

Filter parts are all in, so I'll lube them all and replace the internals on the noisy one.

The 10 gallon I have will be moved to an office desk and will be maintained as a shrimp tank for now too. 3 or 4 of the female blue dream shrimp are berried and I'd like to try and stock up on them.

Question for those running T5's in a canopy. Are you using any fans for ventilation to keep the heat down?

Pictures to come after I clean things up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Couple photo's after a large water change. 2 glass intakes are shipping Monday. NO MORE GREEN TUBES!!!! I can't wait :D I also had a biofilm start to grow on the surface, so I've got the surface skimmer up and running.

Standard mode on my phone makes the tank very yellow:

Using a pre-set mode that cools off the whites makes the tank look a lot closer to how my eyes see it in person:

Dosed the tank up to 10ppm and tested with a brand new PO4 kit. Safe to say the soil is still eating up PO4:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Question for those running T5's in a canopy. Are you using any fans for ventilation to keep the heat down?

Pictures to come after I clean things up.
I just upped to six bulbs from five on my 75 setup. For the last year running five I have not used any fans for cooling or anything like that. That said, I do see the water temperature rise through the photo period. Overnight the tank is 23 Celsius and in the winter will rise to 24. In the summer there were times it would go to 26 if I was not running the air conditioning, but typically ended at 25 (my temperature controller is in Celsius BTW, which happens to work well for you:)).

I do have a black curtin I have that block light spill from the back from hitting the wall, so most the heat is trapped all day.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've been experiencing some very bad melt, sometimes an entire species just melts away completely, other's look perfect and then all of a sudden turn to mush over a day or two. I have a hunch it was too much ammonia from when I left the tank be for 5 or so days without a water change. Ammonia was 4-8ppm (deep green on the API kit, it's an old kit too so I'm not sure how accurate it is).

3 68% water changes later over 4 days and I hope I'm back on top of it. I figured I must have been getting close to the soil's limit on ammonia, but I was wrong. Back to every other day water changes again.

Anyway, I got the green Eheim intakes out of the tank finally, gave everything a good trim / thin, picked up a few species from a local guy who was interested in some of my trimmings, and I sold off the LED. T5's are a go in the canopy! Painted the entire inside of it white, even though it's just a mass of reflectors under there. I just now have to match the outside to the stand now. The front panels are done, just waiting on some free time to get the magnets installed.

Here is some of the melt I was talking about:

Here are some healthy plants:

FTS right after a WC running 1 x 6400K and 1 x Florasun:

Back (bottom) to front (top)
FloraSun
FS + UV
FloraSun

FTS with this combo (ignore the box acting like my temporary front panel for the canopy):

Algae was knocking at the front door, so I'll stick to running the FloraSun and FS+UV for 5 hours per day with a 2 hour blast from the other three mid photoperiod. I'm due for a filter clean and replacement of the filter floss, and I need to get my pH meter calibrated and start testing pH drop. I think I can get away with a little more CO2 than I'm running now. Dwyer Flow Meter should be my next purchase, bubbles are a constant uncountable stream.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to hear of your melting problems, soil and ammonia problems. FWIW - I like the T5s and think the FTS looks nice.

What's your distance to substrate with your T5s?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Melting has been halted for now. Every other day water changes are helping drastically. Plants that like my soup are weeds. Stunted / ammonia burnt plants are slowly bouncing back. Most of the melted species are pretty common and I can pick them up anytime if I want, I'm not too worried.

Next problem is water column bacteria causing a lot of cloud. I've got my Sunsun 9W UV sterilizer set up on the tank, but I would assume the bacteria is growing freely in my storage tote. Large water changes are helping with the cloudiness, but if I'm constantly replacing the majority of the water with bacteria filled water, I'll never get ahead.

So I'll tonight during my water change I'll put the UV sterilizer in my storage water instead of the tank, and use large water changes to keep the tank water clear. If that doesn't work, I'll have to pick up a second UV sterilizer.

I've also gone on a heavy daily glut dosing regime to help with bacteria (maybe??) and to limit any early tank algae. I have no livestock in the tank, so I'm not worried, but eventually I want to get this tank off the glut. No algae outbreaks just yet, but it will come eventually ;)

The 10 gallon shrimp tank got a refurbish - Going low tech with it. I've added some rocks, wood and some new easy growing plants should keep me motivated to keep it looking good. A couple berried females were swimming around, I hope I didn't cause any stress and they have a decent hatch.

I'll try for some pictures tonight, I'm fairly busy and might not be home for when the lights come on.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts