The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What combinations of bulbs are people running in 4-bulb fixtures?

I'm setting up a 29 gallon, high tech using DSM. So far, all I have is a carpet of glosso and some S. repens. I just received an order from aquariumplants.com today(P. ectus, A. reinickii mini, Ludwigia super red mini and L. cardinalis, all TC), so I'll be planting those soon. It's about ready to flood now. I'll eventually dose ferts using EI.

Typically with a 4-bulb fixture, I'll run 1 red bulb of some sort, 2 6500K bulbs and 1 10,000 bulb. That's the lighting set up right now (24" fixture), but I think it has too much bright white light. I' want to trying something different (just not sure exactly what) once I flood the tank and transition everything from an emersed from. To transition, I'll start with a 6 hr photoperiod (with the lights about 12" from the water surface, ~28" from substrate) and step it up 2 hrs every week until I get to a 10 hr photoperiod (not 100% sure I'll go all the way up to 10 hrs, may stick with 8 or 9). Then I'll switch the lights over and move them closer to the water.

Here are a few combos I'm thinking:
2x red
2x 6500K

1x red
1x purple
2x 6500K

2x red
1x 5500K
1x 6500K

1x red
1x 6500K
1x 5500K
1x purple

Any other ideas or feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I run 2 6500k and 2 trulumen flora bulbs and that works for me. I found that running more than 2 6500k bulbs was just to much light.

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
Also really like the TrueLumen Floras

Having a 1:1 ratio of 6500K and red types is good. Though I usually lean heavier on the reds.

Anyone?? BTW, meant 6000K, not 5500K. Any opinions on a second red (such as ZooMed Flora Sun) vs. a purple?
That last combo you listed could work nice. As for using another red vs the purple, that's going to come down to personal taste. Just have to try it and see whay looks good to you.

Personally I prefer a wide assortment, here's my current 6 bulb unit

Front to back:

TrueLumen Flora
Agrobrite 6400K
Zoo-med Flora
Plantmax 3000K
ATI Purple
TrueLumen Flora

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try out the third combo for now and maybe swap one of the reds for a purple at some point and see which I like more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts