The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
My son has a 10 gallon in his bed room and all we use in 5 gal bucket. By the time is takes to break out the python I will have 5 gallons already taken out of the tank.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I would check into a 5 gallon bucket I know Walmart or other Dept stores sell them for around $5 or so.
Pythons are great don't get me wrong. If you have more than 2 tanks or larger than a 20 gallon it is way worth the $25 to buy one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Get the Python.

They really aren't difficult to use, takes a few seconds to set it up and it definitely sppeds up water changes etc.

For a 10 gallon it's probably a bit overkill, but you know you aren't stopping with just a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would agree with Troy...its another investment. I can already see that the planted tank bug has hit you...soon enough you'll be upgrading to a larger tank...then "bam" you'll have to carry bucket after bucket of water to the bathroom or kitchen sink spilling water all over the place.

The python can be set for a slower siphon through the tap (imo a waste of water), but you can always run the tube into the bathtub for a relatively slow siphon...then hook it back to the sink to refill the tank.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
MAKE a Python. All it is is a waterbed fill/drain valve, a ball valve and some potable H2O hose.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I just get a 3/4" garden hose and drain the tank out (this is for a 125 gallon) with a big gravel vac. Better suction than a python, and no waste of water, because my tank is in the basement, and there is no hydraulic head to aid the python when I hook it up to the sink.

Not to knock the python users out there, but I can't see myself wasting that much water just to drain a tank.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get the Python.

They really aren't difficult to use, takes a few seconds to set it up and it definitely sppeds up water changes etc.

For a 10 gallon it's probably a bit overkill, but you know you aren't stopping with just a 10 gallon.
Yeah Im planning to get a 20g(to replace the 10g in my bedroom, and move my 10g out into the living room) and a 55g for in between mine and my brothers bed. But first I need to find room lol. I have so much stuff its crazy.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
pythons are great, but IMO its not worth it unless your tank is over 20g or so. I have a 20H that I still use 5g buckets with, since its simply faster to carry two loads with the bucket (well four if you count refill) when I do 50% wc's. I find that its just faster than getting the python out, hooking it up to the sink and then the unhooking, clearing water from hose, wrapping up, putting away...I use it on my 90g and wouldn't do wc's any other way ;P

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I started with a 10 gallon and WCs with a bucket were tolerable. Now I have two 10 gallons and a 7 gallon cube. Buckets would be a big PITA for me.

Thinking of upgrading to a 20gallon tank if I see one for cheap on Craigslist. ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
In my 20H which is heavily planted, there is at best 15 gallons of water. First of all it's not 20 gallons to begin with, and then with the substrate, heater, wood, plants, etc., there is maybe 5 gallons gone. So I fill up 1 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket for a 50% water change.

·
Registered
517 Posts
stick with the bucket, didn't you say you're short on money and you have more important priorities to handle. fixing that dying filter perhaps, getting better lighting or substrate, that test kit, fish or ferts etc etc

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That's very true. I think the python would be a "nice to have" not a "must have" unless you have lots of tanks, and large ones at that. And if I got to that stage, I would probably start thinking about doing some sort of centralized water change system, or a pump setup to pump the water out faster...such as one of these:

Safety Siphon Aquarium Drain

·
Registered
427 Posts
Id get the python, and a trip to lowes to get the proper sink fitting adapter.

It's easy enough to drain water into a 5 gallon, but it's always a pain to fill them up by hand. Especialy mine since theres not much room above the tank...

Python works great in small tanks too where it is harder to get a siphon going without sucking the tube...

Auto water changer is alot more advanced than a pythin and not always possible unless you own a home. I'd love to put one in the bedroom that I rent but have no way to do so...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts