The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Pythons are the next best thing to sliced bread, and that nobody that has one would ever want to do without it, but I would like to know how useful they are doing water changes if you have several small tanks as opposed to one or two big ones.

I have ten tanks ranging in size from 10 to 30 gallons. Just how useful would the Python be if I am doing weekly water changes of no more than 25% (i.e. 2.5 to 7.5 gallons per tank)? Right now I am using a normal siphon and a five gallon bucket going from tank to tank.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I would say that the Python would be quite useful for you, since you have a relatively large number of tanks.

If you had (say) 3 smaller sized tanks (say 10-20 gallons, max), I would consider without the Python. However, I'm lazy and don't like hauling buckets, so I would buy a Python even if I only had 3 smaller sized tanks :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
with anything bigger than 10g its good. and since you have like 10 tanks and all are over 10g its very helpful!! Anything smaller than 10g changing the water will be a snap! Maybe the siphon will be too strong! BUt yeah i recommend you get one. Dont have to carry a 5g bucket like 10 times back and forth. The best place to get it is online. As stores tend to over charge for them. Save you like 40 bucks the least if you order online

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I use a python for 2 x 15G and a 20 long. Why would you want to haul buckets of water?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm currently running 8 tanks most of them between 10g and 40g with five of them in one room. The Python really does make it easier to do water changes. I'll typically move the siphon from one tank to the next. I'll typically refill the 10g tank with a bucket though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get a Python the next time I order equipment online. I need to get some other things like light bulbs as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have one 20G and it is worth it. I think 1 or more tanks of 10G or more or 2 or more tanks of 5G or more and it would be worth it. If I only had one tank and it was 5G or less then it might not be worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I can't use a Python on my 29 gallon tank because of some logistic issues. I think it would save me a ton of hastle. However on my 10, in another room where it makes sense, I doubt it would be worth the time, much less money to do so. I think if everything is close enough to not have to be moving alot of things around, you will be happy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked at the 50' versions of all three and found that the one from Lee's is actually more expensive than the Python and the one from Aqueon (when purchased from Big Al's Online). Is there any difference between the three?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Way back when (a 3-4 years ago), I finally got a python, for a 29G & a 10G (mine & my wife's (then gf's), then 2 29G tanks) it was *MUCH* better than hauling 5G buckets of water from the tanks, and 2.5G buckets from the tub. Any work-alike, that allows both siphoning and filling, would be worth it IMHO. Even using a normal siphon to fill a bucket for washing filters, a python was great for them *emptying* the buckets. Even in a 1 floor apartment.

Now that we've consolidated to a 150G tank, it's even more of a lifesaver...

*IFF* you can find a good deal online, and especially with more than 1 or 2 tanks, you'll probably not regret the purchase. Even if I were running just the 2 29G ones today, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
After 20 years having aquariums I was finally able to buy one (they don´t sell it in Mexico). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I don´t care if it was expensive it was worth it!

Before it would take me at least 1/2 hour to do my bi-weekly water changes, now the whole process takes 10 minutes. You don´t have to carry anything or suck up water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts