The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a 75 gallon tank recently, the biggest aquarium I've ever had. I also bought a python siphon for the first time and know how to use it.

My question is: Is there any way to redirect the water from a water change so I can save it for plants, my garden, etc.? Is there an attachment tool, tubing, etc. that I can order or find at a hardware store to attach to that green Python piece that goes on the faucet and directs the waste water down the sink?

I'm used to doing water changes on small tanks with buckets and saving water for my houseplants or garden outside.

I hate the idea of wasting so much water when cleaning my 75 gallon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use the faucet attachment to fill, not to empty. When I empty water I run the python house outside and water my plants with it. Aquarium water is great for plants!
How do you get the python going the old fashion way? I thought you needed the faucet attachment to get it to suck water out of the aquarium since the hose is so long.

I've only used it to fill the tank to test the seams. I haven't used it to change water but I've watched tutorials on YouTube.

Thanks!

·
Registered
662 Posts
The suction created by the faucet attachment is downright wimpy compared to my lungs! It's not difficult to manually start a siphon.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The suction created by the faucet attachment is downright wimpy compared to my lungs! It's not difficult to manually start a siphon.
So you're just sucking on the end of the siphon? How long is your python? Mine is 25 feet and it's hard for me to imagine getting it going by sucking on it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can fill the gravel vac with water and lift it up till the water starts going down the hose then quickly put it back in the tank. A syphon should start, but may take a time or two. I use both methods.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can fill the gravel vac with water and lift it up till the water starts going down the hose then quickly put it back in the tank. A syphon should start, but may take a time or two. I use both methods.
Great; thank you. That's good to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OP, I also have a Python and here's maybe a solution to your issue. I have an Aqueon rubber bulb siphon where I took off the outflow hose completely. Picture a rubber bulb siphon with nothing on the the other end. Now take the fill mechanism thingy off the Python and your left with a standard looking female end. There's a rubber gasket in there that'll be real important, now take the end of the Aqueon bulb siphon and stick it in there, it forms a pretty good seal ( I put 2 bunched up towels underneath ), and start squeezing the bulb. I have the gravel vacuum end of the Python outside in one of my garden beds. Bit of a drag when it's 15F outside but it still beats wasting it.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I set up a 75 gallon tank recently, the biggest aquarium I've ever had. I also bought a python siphon for the first time and know how to use it.

My question is: Is there any way to redirect the water from a water change so I can save it for plants, my garden, etc.? Is there an attachment tool, tubing, etc. that I can order or find at a hardware store to attach to that green Python piece that goes on the faucet and directs the waste water down the sink?

I'm used to doing water changes on small tanks with buckets and saving water for my houseplants or garden outside.

I hate the idea of wasting so much water when cleaning my 75 gallon.

Thanks.
My Python also came with a on/off valve. If yours didn't buy one of these at your local hardware store. Put it on the end of your python hose between the green sink adapter and the hose. Start your siphon with the sink faucet and once tank water has reached the sink shut the faucet off then shut this adapter off. Then you can unscrew this on/off adapter from the green python sink adapter and move the hose where you need it. Open this on/off adapter valve and the siphon starts again.
Oh and these adapters come in a "full flow" version so get that one. The inside diameter is larger through the ball valve portion. You will get better water flow.
Camera accessory Plant Cameras & optics Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
114 Posts
"Python" is a brand name. That company markets both regular siphons and a faucet-mounted water changer.

Here's the product listings on their website. The only common piece between the siphon and the water changer is the gravel tube and fitting; the extra long hose, on/off valve and pump are (from the manufacturer, anyway) possibly more expensive than simply buying the kit.

There are non-OEM solutions that may or may not work. Waterbed draining pumps (are these offered anymore?) are functionally the same thing as the Python faucet pump. Some bulk vinyl hose works, but some is so flimsy that it collapses when draining the tank using the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I gravel vac into a 55 gallon plastic drum and then empty that by siphoning with a garden hose. I put the hose in the drum, connect to an outside faucet and turn it on. As soon as the hose is completely full of water, turn off the faucet and disconnect the hose. As long as the end of the hose is lower than the surface of the tank water, the hose will try and drain and pull a siphon. It's worked every single time I've done it. This is basically the same thing that RLee outlined in post #14 but without the Python. You could also do this with a faucet adaptor for the Python, and you could do it with the hose directly into the tank. You will get some untreated water in your tank but you can minimize it and you're going to start draining within a few moments of it happening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts