The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 aquariums, all planted.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tanks are all in my office and we use a long Python vacuum to do WC's. We seem to be regularly replacing the parts on this simple system, I am wondering if anyone has come across a more substantial alternative to Python? Thanks in advance.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Having used the Aqueon at home and the Python at my office; I can only say that I replaced the Aqueon with another Python. Your mileage may vary but I found it a downgrade in many ways. Not the least of which is the hose isn't near the quality and tends to kink.

Just curious, what parts are wearing out on yours? I might replace a coupler or the green pump once a decade or so, but these really have held up for me with years of regular use.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having used the Aqueon at home and the Python at my office; I can only say that I replaced the Aqueon with another Python. Your mileage may vary but I found it a downgrade in many ways. Not the least of which is the hose isn't near the quality and tends to kink.

Just curious, what parts are wearing out on yours? I might replace a coupler or the green pump once a decade or so, but these really have held up for me with years of regular use.
Recently if was the female coupler and the turn off valve.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I have literally never used the turn off, but the couplers do have a finite lifespan. Unless the quality of the Aqueon has improved since I purchased, I think you'd be much happier with the Python. Or at least try to repurpose your old hose.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Thanks for that info . I have used the same python for 20 years and only replaced the pump once . The Aqueon looked good and was priced right . I almost bought one , now glad I didn't . Thanks again .

Reactions: Blue Ridge Reef

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
OK, thanks. We use the turn off because the sink that we fill/drain from is in the basement of the office.
I assume most of us store the hose dry (as possible, anyway) which is why I'd keep the turn off in the open position for draining. Not wrapping my head around why the turn off would help filling or draining against gravity.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I meant that we close the valve between tanks and when we are finishing up because the faucet is in the basement and we will have water everywhere if we couldn't turn it off tank side.
Ah, gotcha. I usually crimp the hose and run! And with my own old unit coupled with high water pressure, it would spray at the sink connection something awful if I did that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone got any ideas for a good siphon for a UNS 75p (36 gallon) for someone with a faucet that the Python can't screw into? My faucet is like this style, so I don't think it's very feasible to get a Python because I can't hook up to it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Is there another faucet you can use , like a bathroom sink , laundry room sink , etc . If the end screws off the one shown you may be able to get it adapted to a Python at Home Depot or such .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there another faucet you can use , like a bathroom sink , laundry room sink , etc . If the end screws off the one shown you may be able to get it adapted to a Python at Home Depot or such .
I do have a bathroom sink but it has a smooth faucet, I think it might be an aerator? I don't think there's any way to get it off, but I also don't know how faucets are built lol. Anyways, I live in an apartment, so I'm not sure if I want to go messing around too much with the hardware of the faucets.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have a bathroom sink but it has a smooth faucet, I think it might be an aerator? I don't think there's any way to get it off, but I also don't know how faucets are built lol. Anyways, I live in an apartment, so I'm not sure if I want to go messing around too much with the hardware of the faucets.
Aerator are replaceable and they screw off once you have it off you will be able to attach the Python.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dornblaser, With the sink in the basement you can just siphon from the tanks to the sink with no need for attaching to the faucet. I made my own with a small soda bottle with bottom cut off. It's lasted about 4 years so far. My sink is only about a foot lower than my tanks and I get plenty of suction to clean all the substrate. The only fitting I need is to connect the hose to the bottle, which I picked up in the Home Depot plumbing dept.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dornblaser, With the sink in the basement you can just siphon from the tanks to the sink with no need for attaching to the faucet. I made my own with a small soda bottle with bottom cut off. It's lasted about 4 years so far. My sink is only about a foot lower than my tanks and I get plenty of suction to clean all the substrate. The only fitting I need is to connect the hose to the bottle, which I picked up in the Home Depot plumbing dept.
We are also filling from the basement. Total capacity is 258 gallons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.