The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was planning on a small school of some sort of display fish, and half a dozen Pygmy corys in my 12" cube.

I bought 6 the other day as my first fish for this tank.

I knew the corys would shoal a bit, but I didn't think they could be the main *school* in the tank.

Now I am seriously considering just doing these guys, maybe 10, and shrimp.

They spend 90% of their time in a perfect little school. Bottom, middle, top, all three :) They don't seem stressed. They spend plenty of time just hanging out, but they almost always do it together.

Will they continue to do this once the tank is completely familiar to them? Will they continue to do it with more in the tank?

Is this is just how they are, these guys are the answer to all the "Nano schooling fish" threads!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hi larcat, from what I heard, all corydoras shoal and explore their new home after being introduced to a new place. After a few days they might settle down and still school often, but not more often than the time you introduced them. I think the more you have, the better they will school for sure. Have a good one!

-Will

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Pygmies are one of the best fishes I've kept. Very peaceful (100% shrimp safe) and extremely hardy. They do occupy the whole tank and not just the bottom like other cories.

They definitely form school and not just shoal. I've had my group for over a year and they still school together like they did on the first day I added them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My pygmys spend about equal time swimming in a group and wandering the tank doing their own thing. Right now they are all foraging among the plants on their own.

I only have five, but even when they do school up there are always only 4 - one is just a natural loner - I encourage him to be himself :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.