The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one Pygmy Cory that seems to have lost its tail fin. It can still swim but does not seem too happy. I do have a couple of Silver Tipped Tetras that are aggressive but they mainly chase. I have never seen them fin nip. The only other reasons I can see for the loss would be either some kind of fin rot or else the grim possibility that I might have cut it when doing some trimming in the back of the tank, which is dense and a place the Cories like to hang out. Can tail fins grow back?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It depends on whether it's just the fins or if you took off the entire tail. If it's just the rays on the fins if you keep him isolated and in pristine water there's a possibility the rays will grow back. If you took off the tail to the base it will not grow back and there's a good possibility the cory won't be able to swim properly and compete for food. I'm so sorry you're going through this, is hope things get better!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on whether it's just the fins or if you took off the entire tail. If it's just the rays on the fins if you keep him isolated and in pristine water there's a possibility the rays will grow back. If you took off the tail to the base it will not grow back and there's a good possibility the cory won't be able to swim properly and compete for food. I'm so sorry you're going through this, is hope things get better!!
Thanks. Hard to see how much is gone but he seems to be able to swim ...but with extra effort. My tank has a "beach" of coarse sand out in front. I drop pellets there for the bottom feeders and shrimp so he should be able to feed. The beach helps to contain the leftover food for the bottom feeders to clean up and for me to get with the Python on water change day.

Actually feeding time and water change day are about the only time I see my 18 little Cories unless I sneak up on the tank :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
He may bounce back, but if he's eating ok and can make it to the surface he should be okay, though if your tank parameters go south fit whatever reason he will most likely be the first to take a downward turn. If you notice him struggling too much to breach or feed I'd isolate him, but if he seems to be doing ok on his own I'd let it work its way out. I've had a goldfish survive 8 years with only half a face and no lower jaw so I know how well fish can bounce back, as long as they can eat and swim injuries and limb loss seem to be things that can be overcome. Good luck with him!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts