The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long long while back i use to have a huge school of pygmy cories that would always swim around the tank and were quite bold. normally swimming in teams of 3-4 all around the tank.

then the number decreased and i hadnt seen them so often. Later on i added a circulation pump and started my pressurized co2 system in the tank. the small group of cories then started to only hang around the back of the tank just hide.

at first i thought it was a number issue and bought 7 more pygmies. now i have 15-17 pygmy cories and i hardly see 5 of them unless i do a major WC then they all come out.

my green neons, scarlets, gouramis and ottos are always out and about visible in the tank but never my pygmies.

Does anyone know why this is? Could it be the co2 or flow or both?
how can i get them to come out more?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have the same problem with my cories. They just hang in a corner unless it is night-time or feeding time. I've noticed more activity under very low light. Maybe it's the light?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
From my experience, the more plants, the less active fish were.
Lighting strength was a non-issue in my experience.

I doubt co2 is the issue or you'd see them go to the surface for a gulp of air more often and the other fish would show symptoms before the pygmys.

So are they dying or not?
If they are, maybe they aren't getting enough food?
Food shortage would have them venturing around more in search of food though.

Maybe there is a disease, which may explain why some are dying and why they hide more (sick/stressed fish can hide more).

Flow isn't a big factor for corys (as long as there is enough dissolved oxygen getting to the bottom). Wouldn't hurt though to add a little current/flow down there if you have a spare pump. Maybe they are bored and the current would be fun for them to play in.

Check at night to see if they come out in the open when the lights are off.

Check water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, pH, KH, GH) just to rule those out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my temperature is around 23c so theres no issue there.
i have an 800lph filter with a 900lph wavemaker so i have plenty of flow to play with.
No ammonia or nitrites or my shrimp will start to flip out
no diseases
havent had any recent cories die
and i tend to feed multiple times a day in small amounts (place the food near the front to get them out)

as for lighting, well it is strong. my floating plants need tp grow back to reduce the intensity.

right now my wavemaker and co2 are off and all the fish are active. the only difference is that the pygmies are just hovering at the back. all the other fish are happily exploring the tank.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Equator - Rivers of the Sun | Biotope Aquarium Forum

If you have some time, look at the video on this page.

It shows lots of habitat shots and corydoras in the wild.

I noticed they tended to live in low visibility water, amongst thick algae, roots and detritus, so their natural environment is very sheltered.

I will watch it but what's that suppose to mean then. The tank is already sense in vegetation.

Does it mean that I should reduce the lighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
No, well I suppose you could reduce visibility by adding tannic substances... I use rooibos tea for my bettas. But what I meant was, nature is messy, we would never put up with our tanks looking like the environments these fish come from, with lots of diatom and other algae. Adding bright lights just makes the environment more hostile... So it would be normal for them to be a little shyer than when the lights go off.

Glad you enjoyed the video. Did you hear the bit where he explained that only .5% of the water body is clear enough to film in?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have about a dozen pygmy cories (+55 or so otos and a half dozen amanos) in this 90, and they're pretty active:

They're not out ALL the time, but 75% of the time I'd say I see a group of 3-4 bumbling about. At least a few times a day the whole group mobilizes for an adventure.

The most fun part is when I stop the circulation pump (700GPH) once a week and feed frozen baby brine. I don't know why, but the entire group of fish mobilizes into a couple of big swarms, and they ALL come out in a group (otos and corys together).

This is when the tank was brand new, but same concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqHGfSExkQ

Plan on increasing the cory numbers soon, was hoping that they'd be out even more when the numbers increased. I'd love to try adding a dither fish, but I can't think of any that wouldn't eat eggs etc.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Throw in a handful of dead oak leaves for them to scratch around under and they would be in heaven in that tank.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Throw in a handful of dead oak leaves for them to scratch around under and they would be in heaven in that tank.
Oak leaves will mess up the look of the aquascape and cover my carpet plants. So I can't do that

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I am going to do a pressed coir pad bottom 'substrate' with the leaves on top. Leaves really make a nice tea color in the tank, and I bet you are right about the corys needing more cover and less light. I remember you spoke of coir having salt so I will soak it a day before adding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts