The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone feed their pygmys and how do you do it? I'm never sure if mine are eating. They are in a shrimp tank so it needs to be shrimp safe.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Feeding Corys

What does everyone feed their pygmys and how do you do it? I'm never sure if mine are eating. They are in a shrimp tank so it needs to be shrimp safe.
Hello baby...

Corydoras need a variety, like most aquarium fish. I feed mine mostly frozen foods. I feed just a little a couple of times a week. If you feed too much, you'll have water chemistry problems, too much algae and unhealthy fish.

I feed frozen brine and mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms, plankton and krill. I just drop a couple of the cubes in the tank and the food sinks to the bottom. I also feed a small algae and shrimp pellet. Again, no more than twice a week. Corys are foragers. They like to look for bits of leftover food. So, by feeding less, they are always swimming around the bottom looking for a little to eat. The fish get their exercise and I have a cleaner tank.

Fish have very small stomachs. It's about the size of one of their eyes, so they don't require very much.

B

·
Super Moderator
15,089 Posts
You should likely feed more than twice per week unless your tank is long-established and you know there's plenty of food. Otherwise, feed what they can consume in an hour or two every day. Skipping a day here or there is fine.

Cories do well on a variety of foods. Frozen, sinking pellets, wafers, flakes, Repashy. You should avoid freeze dried foods unless you reconstitute them yourself. Otherwise, you run into issues with bloating. They're fine here and there as a treat, usually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts