The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a school of 9 of them the other day. They seem to be loving their new home, and they all appear to be very healthy.

What foods should I supplement their diet with? There's plenty of detritus in the tank for them to feast on right now, but I want to give them a variety of foods. There are no other fish in this tank, so I'm not feeding flake foods or anything. Recommendations?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hikari has some nice sinking pellets for cories. Those and some shrimp pellets would be good.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I haven't found a cory that doesn't go crazy for live worms. Blackworms will burrow into the substrate, and if they establish themselves, your cories will have a never-ending buffet of worms ;)

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Hi Church. I spent last year breeding pygmaeus cories. You said there are no other fish in the tank and a lot of detritus so I don't know exactly where your detritus is from. While the dwarf cories are like regular cories in helping to keep the bottoms of tanks clean, they only eat fish food. They also do not eat planaria or algae. They will eat any kind of flake, pellet or stick food and are also very fond of frozen bloodworms. They have very tiny mouths and throats so when you feed frozen bloodworms you will need to shave the frozen cube with a sharp knife to make the pieces smaller. Otherwise you risk them choking to death trying to get the worms down. I also fed mine live white worms, but only the smaller ones. I've never used live blackworms so am not familiar with the size of those worms and whether or not the dwarf cories would have trouble getting them down their throats. Brine shrimp pellets seem to be a favorite for all cories so you can't go wrong with them and some good flake food. There's an excellent sinking earthworm stick that kensfish.com sells. I'm currently raising sterbai cories and growing out some young black cories and they go absolutely crazy over them. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was very helpful, thanks! As to where the detritus came from, I have amano shrimp in this tank, plus plenty of snails, and lots of decomposing plant matter. The cories are definitely grazing and finding things to eat, probably little micro-critters, but I know I need to start feeding them cory-specific food. The snails and shrimp I don't ever feed.

I'm heading to the fish store today. I will pick up some frozen bloodworms, and some regular flake and pellet food.

By the way, are you sure they don't eat algae? It seems to me that they graze through some areas in the tank where there is gsa. But I can't say if there are eating it, or just moving it out of the way to get to something else.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Ni cories are algae eaters, they are bottom feeders. They will sift through everything looking for food morsels. They don't eat decomposing plant matter either. The pygmies are a lot of fun to watch. Do you know which ones you purchased....hastatus, habrosus or pygmaeus?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah these are definitely pygmaeus. The LFS didn't know that, though, and I had to tell them, lol. I just happened to see them when I was shopping for plants, and I bought them. I've been wanting to get some hastatus for a long time now, and since these came along first I figured I'd try raising them instead.

They are very cute, and their antics are just as entertaining as otos, if not moreso. When I first let them out of the bag into the tank, they schooled together in one of the tightest, most synchronized schools of fish than any school of actual schooling fish I've ever seen! It was beautiful.

But now they've adjusted and they've scattered around the tank a bit. I just fed them some flake food to hold them over until I can give them a feast of worms later tonight.

Do you think 9 of them is enough in a 45g tank? Would they be happier with a larger group? There is also going to be a school of some kind of cyprinid in the near future, probably T. espei.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
They would be happier in a larger group if you can do it. I had a group of 38 in a 20G. I started out with 8. When I added the additional 12, they were much more active and seemed happier. They are very tiny and don't add that much to your bioload.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What are you water parameters? I bought a group of 12, and split them up into 4 different tanks. I put 6 in a 10 gallon heavily planted with RCS and micro rasboras, 4 in a 5.5 gallon mildly planted with RCS and CRS, and 2 in a 10 gallon RCS, albino cory, and moss tank. After a couple of weeks, the 6 in the 10 gallon heavy planted were gone, the 2 in the other 10 gallon moss tank are gone (albino's still there) and 1 out of 4 in the 5.5 gallon shrimp tank are gone. All tanks showed up as good in params, so I'm not sure why they didn't survive.
On another note, i know that one of the three surviving ones is a female, because she's a lot fatter then the other two. I wonder if I can get them to breed in a shrimp tank? I have read that changeing water with cooler water and giving more protein rich foods can trigger spawning. Is there anything else to "get them into the mood"?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I kept them in municipal tap water treated with NovAqua+ for chlorine/chloramines, moderately hard, ph 7.6-7.8 kept at 78-80F.
Perhaps they didn't get enough to eat, especially in the tank with the albino cories. I think the albino cories would outcompete the pygmies. They are timid eaters. I regularly fed mine shaved frozen bloodworms, microworms and very small live white worms to keep them in breeding condition. I find that cool water changes aren't necessary to induce cory spawning. The pygmaeus are easy to get to spawn with proper diet. Keeping the fry alive past 3 weeks is next to impossible. There is a very high fry mortality rate. Pygmaeus fry make Celestial Pearl Danio fry look like giants. I believe the pygmaeus are the smallest fry.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got about 10 pygmy cories a little over a week ago. They are in a 20 gallon tank with a few guppies. I've been surprised, because they don't really spend any time on the bottom of the tank. They tend to swim in the middle to the top part of the tank. They spend most of their time, "resting" on the leaves of one of my plants.

I actually find it cute the way they all perch together on the leaves of this plant, however I'm a little worried, because this does not match the behavior that others are describing.

(See Tank: 20g potting mix substrate)

Any comments or advice?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Pygmy cories do spend more time mid-tank level than other cories. Nothing to be worried about. It's one of the reasons people choose them over other cories.

Your tank looks very nice. I see you added 6 otos....that's a lot of otos for a 20G tank. They will only eat biofilm and soft algae so be careful that they have enough to eat. It is often very difficult to get otos to eat supplemental foods and they wind up starving.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Will C. habrosus and C. hastatus interbreed? I have both, the habrosus in a species tank 5 gal and the hastatus in a community tank 30 gal. The hastatus aren't bothered by the tank mates, but I would like to breed them now and was wondering if I should get another tank for them, or if I can add them to the habrosus?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts