The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 10 gallon, its going to be an open top tank (unless I were to find some way to make the rayII fit on the tank while keeping the lid on), and I was wondering if I should be concerned about pygmy cories trying to jump out.

I would be providing dense plant cover, and I would want to include a floating plant of some sort. Probably Red Root Floater since it looks so pretty.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Corys and Open Tanks

For my 10 gallon, its going to be an open top tank (unless I were to find some way to make the rayII fit on the tank while keeping the lid on), and I was wondering if I should be concerned about pygmy cories trying to jump out.

I would be providing dense plant cover, and I would want to include a floating plant of some sort. Probably Red Root Floater since it looks so pretty.

Hello Hybrid...

I have large, open tanks, full of Corydoras and use emersed land plants and floated stem plants to cover the surface of the water. I like Anacharis, Pennywort and Chinese Evergreen.

Corys like a small, open area to go up for a gulp of air now and again, so I provide it. Never had a Cory jump out that I know, and I have some close to 3 inches long that have been in the tanks for years.

I've also found my stem plants like a little added aeration, so I use a couple of air pumps and run a length of plastic tubing (no air stone), to the bottom of the tank to increase the surface movement. This helps move the water through the plant roots, so they can take in nutrients better and helps mix O2 with the water and release CO2, so the emersed plant leaves get a good dose of it.

B

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i have open top tanks with several species of corydoras, and specifically the pygmae corys. no jumping problems here witnessed ...

all have dense plants and are fed twice daily (mainly due to population density).

you shouldnt have any flight risks unless the water or tank conditions are unfavorable.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have had hastatus cories (very small cories like pygmies) for a year now in an open top tank. I had my first and only jumper the other day.

I thought she was already a goner as her body was already stiff, but I still dunked her in the tank water for a second. Thankfully I noticed movement in her gills, so I floated her in a fish net for a few seconds, and when she was already swimming around, I let her go.

So if you do get unlucky like me and get a (very?) rare jumper, try putting the fish in water for a few seconds to see if it is still alive - who knows, this one might still be ok.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have had hastatus cories (very small cories like pygmies) for a year now in an open top tank. I had my first and only jumper the other day.

I thought she was already a goner as her body was already stiff, but I still dunked her in the tank water for a second. Thankfully I noticed movement in her gills, so I floated her in a fish net for a few seconds, and when she was already swimming around, I let her go.

So if you do get unlucky like me and get a (very?) rare jumper, try putting the fish in water for a few seconds to see if it is still alive - who knows, this one might still be ok.
Where'd you get the hastatus cories?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.