The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if nylon could be toxic to fish. My plan is to feel up a nylon stocking with organic potting soil and planting my Amazon sword in it then returning it to the tank and capping it with sand. I do not wish to dirt the whole tank put still want the sword to get great nutrition and since I already have organic potting soil and nylon stocking so it would save me a bucks. Any advise on this

·
Registered
852 Posts
Should be just fine,as long as it's 100% nylon.I used to use old stockings to hold peat moss in a filter for breeding angelfish.Actually,a few other fibers will probably be ok as well.what you need to watch out for are some plastics,they will leach off plasticizers,etc.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Many of us do so much water changing that things that may leach over time do it so slowly that it never shows. I find most cloth is not a problem if it is not so new that dyes may be in it. Old tee shirts and socks are frequent victims now that my wife doesn't use enough nylon. I like cloth that gradually rots like cotton. I put it in and it holds the dirt and plant long enough to be fully set and then the rag is pretty much gone by itself if/when I change up the tank.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Regarding the amazon sword, even in a stocking, soil might make a mess in the water. If the amazon sword is already planted I would recommend soil ice cubes.

Mix the soil with water, put in the freezer in the shape you like ... for example cube trays for ice. When frozen solid take them and put them deep under the substrate near the plants you want. Easy and avoids the mess in the aquarium.

Spousal approval advised.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.