The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is about a non planted tank.. i got a goldfish tank of about 5 gal... she is alone in there. even so, it gets dirty quite quickly since she's a goldfish :icon_roll

I was thinking to put an oto with her in there.. will oto eat those goldfish er.. slime? anyone has tried it?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
A gold fish in a 5gal is already crowded, I wouldn't add any other fish in there with it.

Also, the otto will be sad because (I'm assuming) that there isn't much algae action in the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with PinoyBoy. If you had a much bigger tank I'd recommend either a Bristlenose or a Hillstream Loach. But they both like lots of algae, rather than this 'slime' you say you have. Don't know what that is and I keep (fancy) goldfish myself...

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You need to move the goldfish into a much larger tank - about 20 gallons for one goldfish and another 15 gallons or so for each additional one.

Goldfish are cold water fish and otos are tropical fish so even if you had the room you couldn't add the oto. Also, it sounds like you are hoping the oto will clean up after the goldfish? That's not gonna happen with any other fish or creature. Goldfish produce massive amounts of waster and no other fish eats it.

You need to either get a much larger tank for the goldfish or you need to rehome it. You are condemning it to a slow, painful death in it's own waste keeping it in a tank that small.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to move the goldfish into a much larger tank - about 20 gallons for one goldfish and another 15 gallons or so for each additional one.

Goldfish are cold water fish and otos are tropical fish so even if you had the room you couldn't add the oto. Also, it sounds like you are hoping the oto will clean up after the goldfish? That's not gonna happen with any other fish or creature. Goldfish produce massive amounts of waster and no other fish eats it.

You need to either get a much larger tank for the goldfish or you need to rehome it. You are condemning it to a slow, painful death in it's own waste keeping it in a tank that small.
From what I heard for goldfish it is 5gal per fish... hmm.. anyway, I am doing cleaning and WC frequently now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
From what I heard for goldfish it is 5gal per fish... hmm.. anyway, I am doing cleaning and WC frequently now.
Nope, as was said. 20gallons at LEAST for one Goldfish !!

Comets can reach a foot in length and Fancies (round bodies) can get quite large. Most people kill them before they get that big.

Their lifespan can be over 20 years or 2 weeks. Up to you. If they cannot grow, they die. The Guiness record is 43 years old.

Fancies can live 15 years or more. One of my customers has a 17 yo Fancy Goldfish.

For now large water changes, keep the water clean till you decide to rehome him or get a bigger tank.

Very sorry you were given bad info.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Plus an Oto in a unplanted tank would be so nervous it would most likely die quickly and would have nothing to eat and no where to hide.

Gold fish are very dirty and foul the water quickly, my 150 started with my daughter winning a Goldfish at the carnival, I got a 5 gallon nano first and couldn't keep it clean, so I gave the fish to my nieghbor's daughter that had 2 other Goldfish and 2 or 3 of those Albino Frogs in a 10, talk about a dirty tank, anyway I got 150 after getting rid of the Goldfish.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Nope, as was said. 20gallons at LEAST for one Goldfish !!

Comets can reach a foot in length and Fancies (round bodies) can get quite large. Most people kill them before they get that big.

Their lifespan can be over 20 years or 2 weeks. Up to you. If they cannot grow, they die. The Guiness record is 43 years old.

Fancies can live 15 years or more. One of my customers has a 17 yo Fancy Goldfish.

For now large water changes, keep the water clean till you decide to rehome him or get a bigger tank.

Very sorry you were given bad info.
Agreed 100%

I personally wouldn't keep even a single goldfish in less than 30gal just b/c they're such large fish with such huge metabolisms. I'd expect to have to do very large weekly water changes (75% plus) to even begin to keep up with the amount of waste they put out.

I wouldn't keep multiple goldies in less than about 50gal, personally.

Depending on how big your goldie is right now, you may need to be doing large DAILY water changes with just a 5gal tank. Are you monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate closely?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Set up Goldfish like you would
Oscars. Large tank with oversize filtration, preferably a canister. And still plan on doing weekly partial water changes. They are great fish, just high metabolisms make them dirty compared to most fish.

If you want to reset the 5g there are fish that will not outgrow it and they will stay cleaner longer, just not Goldfish.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fancy goldfish can be big.

That was Bruce, a pond bred Oranda in Hong Kong.

I've got a black moor that nose to tail is about 8 inches long.

edit: That 8 inches is with fins, the body is about 4 inches. Just in case "nose to tail" isn't understood.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't feel bad, with the general public associating goldfish with "goldfish" bowls, its easy to think they live in cramp quarters. Just be prepared to move it up in tank size if you're serious about taking good care of it.

I'm exceeding some of the gallon/fish recommendations here myself (15 to 20 gallon per fish?): 7 goldfish in a 75 gallon, with a rainbow shark and a apple snail added to the mix. These guys started with 6 baby fantails in a 40 gallon long and it would be a bit cramped if they were still there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, goldfish are misunderstood. I worked in a petshop during my student days and almost every customer wanting a goldfish did not realise quite how big they grew. So I made up some 'did you know...?' factsheets and stuck them on the tanks.

I'm quite possibly pushing it too - I have a calico Oranda, a blue Oranda, a male Bristlenose, 3 bronze Corydoras and a Sewellia lineloata in a 90L tank. I have an external Fluval 105 and do twice weekly 30% water changes. They seem happy and water parameters are perfect.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
He may not get bigger unless you rehouse him, is everyone's point. Stunting from cramped quarters is one issue, rapid buildup of ammonia is another. It's hard enough to keep a 5gl cycled with such a messy fish, ammonia poisoning can burn gills and every other part of the fish, it is a slow painful way to go out. Stunting is the result of internal organs growing as the outside stays cramped, just like dwarfism the fish's internals will essentially burst inside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.