The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the cause behind the odd purple cherry shrimp has been determined yet? I've heard rumors of everything from temperature shifts, water conditions, stress, molting, and/or diet - since I doubt they're all true, I was wondering if anyone with more shrimp knowledge than me has any more definite answers.

My curiosity on the matter was piqued the other day when I spotted a purple one in my 29g cherry/endler tank. I grabbed her (literally, I didn't feel like finding a net LOL) and isolated her in another tank (with only tiger shrimp for company) to see if the color holds true through a couple weeks (or at least the next molt). Thinking of trying to breed her to a clearish male and seeing if the color breeds true, if it does indeed last...

Here's a photo for reference sake - couldn't get her to sit still enough for a clear shot, but the color's fairly apparent.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
that is red pigment. The bluish opacity is coming from the inside, which could be a sign of sickness or stress. The fact that the stripes on the carapace are red, and not blue or purple, would mean it could have just been eating blue cotton candy. :p

would be cool though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts