The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this algae growing only on the driftwood of my 3 gallon Spec. Ok so there are a few different algaes growing on the driftwood. The one I'm most interested in is the purple stuff. It's only on the driftwood, under direct light, and doesn't grow on any plants.

I've had diatom issues for a while and I've finally gotten them under control. The clean spots on the wood is where my Nerite snail has gone to town. To control the diatoms I've had to dose phosphorus, potassium, and excel. Because of that my nitrates are now close to if not zero. Over the weekends (office tank) I don't dose excel so there might be a tuft of BBA that goes away after a day. I'm kind of surprised I have CO2 issues. The water is pretty calm so that might have something to do with it. Perhaps I'll add an air stone to the filter / heater well and add some agitation.

All that is in the tank is 4 anubias plants that are going nuts, 1 decent sized chunk of S Repents and little patch of Bacopa Car that had a trim back about 2 weeks ago. The plants are algae free, it's only the close direct light places that have any algae trouble.

I'm of the opinion that if it just stays on the wood I'll leave it be as I like its color but just in case it decides to go malignant I want to know how to kill it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm sorry my friend, but that is BGA or blue green algae. It sometimes appears as a red/purple color.
I believe in your case it is being caused by lack of nitrates. I would increase the levels to 10-20 ppm. It will spread.
You can rid of it manually or with erythromycin. It will continue to come back until the cause is resolved though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.