The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a brand new Lifeguard fluid bed filter sitting on the garage shelf for 20 years from my reefing days. Well I recently went to discus so figured a Purigen reactor was in order!
Only cost $60 in Purigen!!!!:surprise:
It is actually very cool to watch! Mesmerizing!! I bought the tiniest Hydor pump they make and it did not have enough umff to get the bed moving so I had to get the smallest Petco powerhead! That did the trick!

This is not my video but mine acts exactly like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLYLd3Bldkw

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Aquatop makes a fluidized bed filter that sells at the lfs for like 60 bucks. I about bought one to use as a purigen reactor and then decided against it. Has te be more efficient than using a bag.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool stuff. What are your plans for recharging?
I plumbed in a MarineLand quick disconnect and a shut off valve.

I should be able to remove the unit while leaving the pump in place. Then remove the plug where you add the media, dump it into a bucket and recharge. Refill it and good to go.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I plumbed in a MarineLand quick disconnect and a shut off valve.

I should be able to remove the unit while leaving the pump in place. Then remove the plug where you add the media, dump it into a bucket and recharge. Refill it and good to go.
Very nice. I have seen them in action on video. Think you can post some vid of yours working?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried using small pieces of lava rock/cinders ? Its readily available where i live in hawaii and was thinking of trying it for media ? Anyone who has tried please reply. Thank you

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
It would certainly work as a bio media, but I don't think it would be the best choice for a fluid bed.

update...
I was getting a little purigen in the tank so i had to add a little foam filter on the output. I used a little Fluval nano filter sponge and zip tied it to the 1/2 vinyl output hose. Worked!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uh oh

:surprise:
Well opened my cabinet this morning and.....
water puddle! I see a little drip coming from the reactor connection!
Sprung a leak!! I saw online where a couple people said there's did this exact same thing over time! Seems the glue they used to glue in a couple connections gives out over time. Mine ran for about a month!

So I pulled it and going to switch over to a phosban 150 reactor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts