The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s sounds contradictory since it removes both solid and non solid waste, but I thought I heard it’s a lot better than carbon and does not remove certain fertilizers (iron pops to mind, KG etc)

let me know your thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I use both purigen and ac at the same time. Neither should remove significant amount of fertilizers.

Reactions: Asteroid

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Hi @Drewerickson37

Welcome to TPT!

I agree with @Jeffww that Purigen does not effect the nutrients that you dose. It removes organics not chemicals.
-Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use both purigen and ac at the same time. Neither should remove significant amount of fertilizers.
That’s what I’ve heard which was one of the major reasons of switching, besides of course they say it’s 500x better than carbon

Thank you, appreciate
Hi @Drewerickson37

Welcome to TPT!

I agree with @Jeffww that Purigen does not effect the nutrients that you dose. It removes organics not chemicals.
-Roy
Thanks for the friendly welcome, as well as your knowledge. I feel more confident in making the switch

Sure hope so lol but I take your word. Is a TDS meter thing recommend? Not using RO, sorry little off topic

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I recommend it but I might be in the minority on this site. It's a 15 dollar tool that can let you assess whether or not your water has increased dissolved materials in it either due to lack of water changes or excess fertilizers. I use it quite routinely to check the DI resin in my RO filter and in the water of my Caridina shrimp tanks which I normally only do top offs on. But, when TDS exceeds 200 I will do a water change to bring it back down to 120-150.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recommend it but I might be in the minority on this site. It's a 15 dollar tool that can let you assess whether or not your water has increased dissolved materials in it either due to lack of water changes or excess fertilizers. I use it quite routinely to check the DI resin in my RO filter and in the water of my Caridina shrimp tanks which I normally only do top offs on. But, when TDS exceeds 200 I will do a water change to bring it back down to 120-150.
Good to know, I got 6 L270 plecos and the breeder mentioned get a TDS tool and having 180, so glad you clarified a water change could change the TDS but I don’t use RO so i guess I’d have to see what I’ve got for tape water TDS. Definitely gonna get one thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts