The Planted Tank Forum banner

Purigen combined with API Stress Coat is toxic?! $&*#

498 2
I only just found out that this combination may be poisonous to my fish and shimp, just as I put in a new Purigen packet into my filter!! So I quickly did a 30% water change with RO water, hoping this helps prevent my sweet boy and my 4 amano shrimp from dying. How often can I do water changes to ensure that everyone is safe?

I really wish there was a clearer warning for combining these two things :{

Pic of my boy before all of this mess happened.

Plant Insect Leaf Window Arthropod
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
17,894 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Take a breath. Release tension in your jaw and shoulders. They won't die on you. It's an easy fix.

Step 1: Stop using Stress Coat. It's a waste of money. Toss the Purigen and start fresh if you ever need it.

Step 2: Buy Seachem Prime to use instead of Stress Coat. It's not gonna interact with Purigen or other resins.

I quickly did a 30% water change with RO water
If you didn't remineralize your RO water, then you've drastically reduced water hardness and removed a ton of minerals.

How often can I do water changes to ensure that everyone is safe?
As long as you parameter match - same kH, gH, temperature - you can change 100% of your water every day if you wanted. Just do them slowly.

In your case, go pick up a bottle of Prime and dose your tank and you'll be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts