The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~
I took advantage of some really good online Black Friday prices to buy Purigen, among other things. They didn't sell the bags though. Do I have to buy those ridiculously priced bags, or will doubled-up pantyhose really work like some say? I realize the pantyhose won't hold up to recharging, but if I can use them for now it will give me a chance to recover after my unplanned weekend spending spree - lol.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pantyhose will work, make sure it's nylon and not cotton or polyester otherwise it will degrade eventually.

Personally I don't put my Purigen in a bag, I just toss it in the HOB with a sponge to keep it from leaving the filter.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
PetSmart stores sell 2 sizes of fairly fine mesh bags for about $1 each, but you need to double them up to insure the particles don't escape into your tank.

I've also had good experience using organza material bags bought at gift shops or dollar stores/specialty discount stores. (They're used to package mainly wedding & birthday gifts). But you do need to replace them every 6 to 8 months or so, as the organza eventually deteriorates from the constant bleach re-charging. And keep in mind I re-charge my Purigen every 3 weeks, so the organza does last quite a while - about 10 bleachings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Or if you are feeling really frisky a reactor would make it work even better :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts