The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching to Purigen, but I hesitate because in the cautions of the product it states:

"Caution: Some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit. "

It seems like all of the water conditions have some form of slime coat stuff in them and I need the water conditioner. Any advise or has anyone used it with a water conditioner and if so what kind?

I am more and more leaning towards just plain getting an RO unit and forgetting about the water conditioner - but then it seems I have to dose the water with minerals which that I know nothing about.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I've been using Purigen on a regular basis in my 75 gal discus tank for several years, and have used several different water conditioners, including Prime, during that time - while doing several large wcs every week.
Have never noticed any adverse effects whatsoever relating to the discus' slime coats, nor to the effectiveness of re-generated Purigen. I don't know what percentage level of slime coating elements are contained in conditioners but I would suspect it would be very minimal.
I believe that Seachem's caution likely relates strictly to direct slime coat enhancing products, which I have never used because I have not had a need to.

Purigen is a superior minute particulate and undesirable elements remover that does a remarkable job of polishing & clarifying water. It maintains crystal clarity in my tanks pretty much 100% of the time. Wouldn't be without it.
You may wish to have a look at how my discus tank maintains itself with regular usage of Purigen (p.s. I'm currently using TopFin water conditioner because it's less expensive, and IME it doesn't cause fresh water to foam, film, or discolor tap water when doing wcs, as some conditioners tend to do - e.g. Aqueon.)

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.