The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend of mine with his aquarium. We are building a water polisher and we are going to use purigen. I believe he has been using stress coat or some other dechlor product. So my question is how long do amines stay in the tank and should I really consider just doing a 100% water change?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am helping a friend of mine with his aquarium. We are building a water polisher and we are going to use purigen. I believe he has been using stress coat or some other dechlor product. So my question is how long do amines stay in the tank and should I really consider just doing a 100% water change?

If you suspect there are amines present as used to disinfect drinking water they degrade very slowly on their own. A water change maybe appropriate if there is no other means to degrade the amines

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are going to do a large water change, around 70 or 80 percent and we will use prime to treat the new water. Will prime bind the amines so we dont have to worry about the purigen becoming toxic as that is my main concern is when he recharges the purigen.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I used a stress coat product a month before I added purigen, and when I recharged it, it didn't kill my fish. It was the Tetra water conditioner that I know has amines in it. I think amines are a problem with the conditioner you use to neutralize the bleach, they bind with the chlorine and cannot be broken down by a conditioner.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@discuspaul As usual you provide some solid info. The link provided answered my question. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Avoid any risk by simply using Seachem Prime as your de-chlorinator during re-generation, which I've been doing for years with Purigen.
I only use prime but I am doing all of this for a friend so I will have to make sure he understands. He isnt the hobbyist most on tpt are. BTW is purigen great or what? I started using it just under two weeks ago and cant believe the difference.

Bump:
Bah. I prefer Seachem Safe. Much better bang to the buck.
This is for a friend and I think the liquid will be easier and prime is easier to find in our area where we have to order safe over the internet which this guy wont want to do. He isnt really a hobbyist, just a dude who has a fish tank. .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.