The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently set up a small tank and while looking for a unique, colorful fish stumbled upon Betta Imbellis. While researching them I found out that many sold in the US are crossed with Betta Spendens. It's not the end of the world if I buy a beautiful fish that isn't pure, but I would like to at least know what I am purchasing.

Here are two pictures from a seller. The top is advertised as pure, and it appears to be one from my limited knowledge. The bottom one is called an Imbellis, but is not advertised as pure and I haven't been able to find any online that have red on the dorsal fin. I may be over thinking this, because in the end it doesn't matter much, but any help is appreciated.

Betta 1:
fwbettas1312803757.jpg

Betta 2:
fwbettas1315219700.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Agreed, looks Imbellis, and that bottom one, WOW! Gorgeous! Hi fins are beautiful and perfectly shaped! Top ones fins are less so, but you can barely tell if you prefer the darker colour. ^^
Would you plan on breeding if you get them?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
No clue if they're pure...wild imbellis are usually really really slender. The blue opercula are a definite sign of imbellis though. My lfs has some for like $6 a piece.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, looks Imbellis, and that bottom one, WOW! Gorgeous! Hi fins are beautiful and perfectly shaped! Top ones fins are less so, but you can barely tell if you prefer the darker colour. ^^
Would you plan on breeding if you get them?
These two are each sold as part of a pair. The female sold with the 2nd male looks great as well. I've never tried breeding betta before, but I do hope to get a few fry.

I've thought about building a shallow tank (something like 24"x24"x8") and making a betta biotope. I'm not sure I have room for it now, but definitely an idea to save for later.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Treat them like B. Splendens. Don't put the males and females together.. The female shouldn't be with the male until she's ready to mate.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you're ordering them from overseas, be prepared with RO water, warm temperatures, and for a long acclimation period with live food. I'd give them at least 6 months before attempting breeding. You might need to ask if they're captive bred or wild-caught.

If you're ordering them from a US-based seller then they usually are hardier, and you should be able to breed them sooner. If you want to find a US breeder, check on www.ultimatebettas.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts