The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pure ammonium hydroxide cycling aquariums ?

26129 41
OK I did a search on 'Pure ammonia and fish less cycling' and didn't get anything recent here on TPT.

Lots of jugs labeled 'Pure Ammonia' but they all had surfactants listed as an ingredient or they failed the shake the bottle test. One looked promising as all the bubbles and foam dissipated in less than a minute, but surfactant was the third and last ingredient listed.

Anyone know the exact brand name of truly pure ammonium hydroxide solutions you can get in a retail store?
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have Blue Ribbon Clear Ammonia. I had found others that used this as well, it must not be full strength as it took more than just drops to get the ammonia readings to start showing. Bought mine at a local mom and pop hardware shop

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The absolute maximum strength of atmospheric pressure room temperature ammonium hydroxide solution is ~28%. Get a whiff of that and it'll knock you back a few feet at the very least. We used it as a lab reagent and I remember getting it at the local drug store when I was a kid. Don't think they do that anymore.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gettin' some tomorrow, wringing out my poly sleeve from my 45 tall into my 20L and juicin' it up with soma dat ACE. :proud:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got the ACE ammonia for $5. Absolutely no suds when shaken. That's the stuff :proud:

I'll do a water change, hard scape, plant some mini microsword and a couple anubius, EI ferts, bring up the ammonia up a bit and seed the tank with my 45g canister filter.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Dr. Tim Hovanek has shown that 5 ppm is about the upper level for ammonia and for nitrite for the nitrifying bacteria. Google that name and look for papers and similar reports of his studies about the bacteria that are responsible for the nitrogen cycle. Somewhere in that I remember reading it. He also has a web site. Maybe it was in the 'fishless cycle with nitrospira' article at his site.

Also, the scientists that developed the fishless cycle instructions that I keep posting also found that starting with 5 ppm got the cycle off to the fastest start. But the ammonia removing bacteria would grow so fast they would produce too much nitrite before the second group of bacteria were ready, so the nitrite would go too high (over 5 ppm). That is why the method is to provide 5 ppm ammonia for only the first few days. Test daily. At the first sign of nitrite, allow the ammonia to drop to 3 ppm, and maintain it there through the rest of the fishless cycle.
This was on line quite a few years ago, but that site is no longer there, and I do not remember the names of the scientists who studied this.

Diana Walstad, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, page 20:
Plants differ in their tolerance for ammonia.
Some plants are OK, or just a slight reduction in growth at ammonia levels between 3.2 and 9.6 mg/l (ppm). Some can even handle higher amounts (to 26 mg/l)
Other plants cannot handle even .9 mg/l

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx Diana. I thought you were Diana L. Walstad when I first saw the intelligence and expertize in your posts these last few weeks, but she lives on the other coast.

I'll start at 5 and let it drop to 3 and keep it there for awhile until the cycle is done. I've got to get a nitrite test kit too, but I'm too broke after spending $$$ so far on this little 20L to get it set up to this point. Maybe I can get some spare change from people who want me to fix their infested computers LOL.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good timing on this thread. Hope you don't mind if I jump aboard. Actually using this method right now to get my cycle started. I'm using the Salifert Ammonia test kit and the results are in mg/L. Does anyone know how this translates to ppm?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.