The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. If anybody does a Google search on driftwood ebay, the cuckoo root tree driftwood will always feature top of the list. The product is ridiculously cheap, and ships from the far east. I dont know how safe it will be to put it in my tank (after boiling it in hot salt water of course). Has any of you purchased cuckoo root tree driftwood, and was happy with product?

When trying to get more information on the product source fom the supplier, this was the response I received:

'Thanks for your letter.

The driftwood refers to be buried under wetlands or the root is rot after a long time. If your fish like the item in weak alkaline, such as snapper, you can not use it.

May you have a nice day.

Best wishes,'

·
Banned
324 Posts
I personally would not buy it. If that is the reply you get then that means they have no clue what kind of wood it is. Check their ebay feedback and see how pleased previous customers were. If it is the one for $5 I can bet you its going to be a tiny piece of wood.all in all I wouldn't buy it. Are you not able to find wood locally? No rivers or lakes to go search?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you google "cuckoo root tree" you don't find any definition of what this is, just for sale listings on various online stores. I think I would pass on it, especially when they say they randomly select pieces to ship, and the order would be for only one piece. I bought Malaysian drift wood once, on Ebay, and was pleased with what I got. The pieces were hardwood, and lasted for years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Agree. There is no such tree from what I searched. I guess it's best to stick with the trusted malaysian/mopani driftwood. Searching at local rivers is hard work, and most pieces are too soft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts