The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are cheaper ways to go about a CO2 setup, but i felt like spoiling myself with money from selling my calculus and chemistry text books I just finished using lol

New Equipment:

CarbonDoser II Regulator (aquariumplants.com selfmade model)
CarbonDoser EXT5000 Reactor (aquariumplants.com selfmade model)
5lb CO2 aluminum tank
+ few extra things for it (i.e. tubing, kh test kit, blah blah)

I will be getting a milwaukee pH controller soon with the money i get from selling my 3 breeding pairs of angels.

Anyways, i will post a picture of the setup when i get it next week and let everyone know my reviews on the products.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow. The buy-back rates on textbooks have evidently gone up since my college days!

Congrats on the "Caddilac" system. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. The buy-back rates on textbooks have evidently gone up since my college days!

Congrats on the "Caddilac" system. :)
LoL I didnt sell my books back to the school, they give you maybe 20$ for a 200$ book! I posted them for sale at school and found students to buy them from me, I just priced mine about 15$ lower than the book store to be competitively priced. So I made ALOT more money back :D

But thank you for the congrats, I wanted to get some quality equipment :D from reviews I've seen is that aquariumplants equipment has a solid reputation. Im excited to set it all up!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've got the CarbonDoser EXT 5000s on my 150g. Loks great, works great I don't pump a ton of CO2 into my tank. For ym regulator I've got a custom SS setup that is top notch.

Craig

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the CarbonDoser EXT 5000s on my 150g. Loks great, works great I don't pump a ton of CO2 into my tank. For ym regulator I've got a custom SS setup that is top notch.

Craig
Sweet I've heard good reviews but another good one reassures me of it's capabilities. I won't be dosing too much co2 though, it's a discus tank and from what ive read they don't tolerate high levels of co2 well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Actually, the carbon doser regulator uses a clippard mouse solenoid on the inside, plus the electronics that make it work. The one thing I do not get is that the post body does not regulate pressure, so since it is a single stage regulator, the pressure will rise as the tank empties, and so the system is not truly automated. If you want a truly automated system, you need either a dual stage regulator, or a ph controller.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, the carbon doser regulator uses a clippard mouse solenoid on the inside, plus the electronics that make it work. The one thing I do not get is that the post body does not regulate pressure, so since it is a single stage regulator, the pressure will rise as the tank empties, and so the system is not truly automated. If you want a truly automated system, you need either a dual stage regulator, or a ph controller.
Not too knowledgeable on the components of a regulator so I'm not too sure on how it works or how to compare to other regulators, but I will be getting a Milwaukee ph controller very soon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Craig
Just looked at some of your journal and wow amazing setup!

Glad I'll be running the same reactor as you! Quick question, how much does that beast cost on your electric bill! Lol I'm a college student living at home and my dad already gets mad how I raise the bill from my heaters and lights, eventually want to get something like yours... Baby steps though :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Started it today at 1 bubble every 3 seconds, wanted to see how efficient the EXT5000 reactor really is and already my pH has dropped from about 7.5-7.6 to 7.1-7.2, I'm using the Milwaukee pH 600 handheld meter. So far so good!

I did a kH test and it was at 7. But i've read that the kH vs pH graph to guesstimate the CO2 ppm concentration is only helpful if you have a carbonate buffer.. so I don't think this will help me considering I do not.

BUT, my discus haven't seemed to get affectedf, it is a closed top tank (for my cat to stay out of it! lol), so I run aeration 24/7. While my CO2 system is wired to the T5 HO light timer for the 10 hour photoperiod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts