The Planted Tank Forum banner

Puopg's 120P

7758 Views 103 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Frshwtr
Hello and thanks for dropping by my 120P journal!

For my entire life, I've only had tanks under 15 gallons. As a kid, I remember starting from a good ol' fish bowl, to saving up and buying my first tank, the Marineland Eclipse 12. And even as an adult, the largest I've ever ran was my ADA 60P. For my entire life, I've been wanting to have a larger aquarium, and I finally feel like I have the time, budget, and space to have one and do it the way I want to. I'm super curious to see how my experience in the past will translate to this larger scale!

This build is definitely not a budget build. And I definitely don't know exactly what I'm doing. But I look forward to the lessons to learn and experiences coming up. I will do my best to update this journal with my successes and failures, and I hope the community can benefit from them!

With all that said, here is where things are at:

Edited: 10/15/2022
Phase: Growing and fish selection

Last updated: 01/23/2023

Plant Nature Branch Botany Terrestrial plant

Plant Green Botany Wood Water

10/12/2022

Equipment:
  • Cabinet - Custom built 120cm.
    • [Lighting] Armacost Ribbon Flex Pro 3000K, 120 LED's meter.
      [Lighting] Armacost 45W Driver
  • Tank - ADA 120P
  • Automation - Neptune APEX classic
  • Filtration:
    • CPR CS102 HOB overflow box, modified to use a Herbie style drain.
    • Trigger Systems Platinum Sump 26
    • Biohome Ultimate Media
    • COR15 return pump
  • Lighting:
    • Chihiros 90" WRGB2
    • FluxAqua White Light Screen
    • iQuatics stainless steel universal hanging kit
  • CO2
    • Reef Octopus Essence 130 Protein skimmer (as reactor)
    • Linde SS regulator with Parker h3a metering valve.
  • Above tank watering system
    • Kamoer FX-STP Continuous Duty dosing pump
  • ATO
    • Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Misecellaneous equipment that I really like:
    • Colder 1/2" barb quick connect adapters.
  • Monitoring Equipment
    • Pinpoint pH probe
    • Hanna KH colorimeter
Code Powering the APEX:
For anyone interested in using an APEX and would like an example, below is a link to my github repository where I will be recording stuff for this tank. For my own understanding, I try to comment what each line is doing.

Hardscape
  • Frodo Stone
  • Chamise Wood

Substrate
  • ADA Amazonia Ver. 1
  • ADA La Plata Sand
  • ADA Power Sand Advance M + Pumice blend as base layer

Flora
  • Monte Carlo
  • HC
  • Dwarf Hairgrass
  • Staurogyne Repens
  • Anubias Nana
  • Buce, Wavy Green
  • Buce, Kedagang
  • And 2 other buces
  • Rotala Green
  • Mayaca Fluviatilis
  • Pearlweed
  • Water Wisteria
  • Java Fern, Trident
  • Java Fern, Narrow
  • Mini Pellia
  • Fissidens Miroshaki
  • Hydrocotyle Verticillata
  • Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
  • Weeping moss above water
  • Cool plants above water

Attachments

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

· Registered
4,905 Posts
Installed the new light mount since the old one didn't fit with the background. Honestly, I think this one looks way cleaner, minus the crazy RO tubing handing off the top right now.

And thus begins a 2-3 week soak of the wood...

View attachment 1039713
That's a lot of wood! If you can boil the ends of each piece it will save you at least a week.

· Registered
287 Posts
Nice setup! Similar to mine although I don't think you need such a big sump and I would seriously consider a trickle filter instead - one with a removable tray to make it easier to swap out your mechanical filter

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's a lot of wood! If you can boil the ends of each piece it will save you at least a week.
Haha yea, I’m just soaking all the options. I likely won’t use all of it.

Nice setup! Similar to mine although I don't think you need such a big sump and I would seriously consider a trickle filter instead - one with a removable tray to make it easier to swap out your mechanical filter

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
my mech filtration is a actually a fleece roller, so changing mechanical filters is simply swapping a new roll on and feeding it through. In theory...never tried this idea before.

Weird question @puopg

I've heard from some that ADA tanks are light but sturdy and from other sources that they tanks are very heavy.

How heavy is the ADA 120p
It’s heavy.But it’s a big tank too. But if it helps you, it took 4 people to lift this onto the stand for peace of mind. I reckon 2 could lift it, but I could not alone.

· Registered
287 Posts
my mech filtration is a actually a fleece roller, so changing mechanical filters is simply swapping a new roll on and feeding it through. In theory...never tried this idea before.
I guess it depends on how often you plan to do swap outs. I have to change mine daily to get the kind of water quality I want.

A trickle filter with a sealed sump also allows me to have zero surface agitation for more co2 efficiency + oxygenation, which has helped me really fine tune co2

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
662 Posts
I too have just a fleece roller for my tank. I am pleased with the low maintenance and the filtration it provides. It does not get every little piece of debris like a filter sock. This means I have to vacuum out the sump every now and then. Still better than washing filter socks constantly.

· Registered
926 Posts
Haha yea, I’m just soaking all the options. I likely won’t use all of it.
It’s heavy.But it’s a big tank too. But if it helps you, it took 4 people to lift this onto the stand for peace of mind. I reckon 2 could lift it, but I could not alone.
@puopg. Any updates for us?

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So after waiting a day I still just wasn’t happy with the layout, so I decided to pay a bit more for some extra hardscape options and this is the result. Hoping I’ll still like this in a day but I definitely feel better about it.

Wood Branch Twig Art Trunk

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Scaping Technique

For those interested in some of the strategies I am using (honestly testing) in this layout.

Substrate Supports

• I am using something called HEXPave in the taller and back of the layout. This is basically a permeable paving system that is used for roads, driveways, etc. Im hoping that it will increase the substrate stability and aid in erosion due to the extreme slope angle at times. Being permeable, planting should be minimally impacted and roots are free to penetrate as normal. I use a garden shear to cut into sections.
  • Another support system is corrugated plastic boards, cut into strips that are shoved into the substrate to provide support as necessary.
  • Filter floss is hidden behind the edges of rocks where soil would typically bleed out to prevent that.
  • And using the rocks to build terraces.

Increasing strength of rocks

• Using a bunch of smaller rocks leads to issues where the rock is simply too light to stand against gravity and erosion. To compensate, I've anchored rocks at times to one another to increase the rigidity of the rock structures as well as increase the overall weight of the structure. I hope that this also helps keep rocks in place a bit more during routine maintenance and accidental bumps.
  • Cementing rocks together is done using Cigarette filters and Thin Liquid superglue. When the filter fluff absorbs the superglue, they react (fumes so keep area ventilated) and it solidifies to fuse the rocks together.
  • The bond is decent in strength, but still easily breakable with a bit more force, so this makes removal and adjustments pretty simple, though it does chip some rock off in the process.
  • Reference technique:

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Testing the branch water delivery system. The terra tape is absorbent and I plan on covering it with moss which hopefully should hide the tape and tubing a bit. Tbh from the front the tubing isn’t super noticeable unless you start looking for it. Haha I guess I can just disconnect it when I want a nicer shot. I had considered routing the tubing up behind the branches but it just seemed like a maintenance nightmare if it ever clogged and whatnot.

anyways here’s a video of it in action!

· Registered
6g office nano, 20g aio cube, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g
932 Posts
Sweet setup! Thanks for the link from my post. There are a lot of things here to think about!

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Been a week since flooding the tank. Theres been a lot of melt off on some plants like the Crypt Parva and the HC. Some of the pearlweed I got also wasn't in the best condition either so most of it melted, but new growth at the tips seems healthy.

So this week I have just been water changing a lot, and I started the transition to RO/DI so that the plants can start to get used to the actual parameters that I will be running the tank at.

I found this little wand I built really makes water changes less of a hassle. Just simple PVC but a nicer ball valve since I've had so many issues in the past with the the generic ball valves jamming and being hard to turn over time. Pumping water into the tank is as simple as swapping the hose to the RODI 40 ft away and pumping the reservoir into the tank.

Attachments

· Registered
4,905 Posts
Been a week since flooding the tank. Theres been a lot of melt off on some plants like the Crypt Parva and the HC. Some of the pearlweed I got also wasn't in the best condition either so most of it melted, but new growth at the tips seems healthy.

So this week I have just been water changing a lot, and I started the transition to RO/DI so that the plants can start to get used to the actual parameters that I will be running the tank at.

I found this little wand I built really makes water changes less of a hassle. Just simple PVC but a nicer ball valve since I've had so many issues in the past with the the generic ball valves jamming and being hard to turn over time. Pumping water into the tank is as simple as swapping the hose to the RODI 40 ft away and pumping the reservoir into the tank.
Loving all the emersed growth! Will be interested to see how that orchid does. I have been treating mine like a cactus for years regarding watering, is it constantly damp or is it in an arid location?

41 - 60 of 104 Posts