The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered some Pumpkin shrimp from Nikki and they arrived. The camera is turning them a little brighter orange than they appear in person... But its only been about 24 hours since they were let go in the tank... This tank also has a 70 watt 8000k bulb so it shows a little on the green side...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No these are in a tank in my office right next to the computer that I am on typing this.. The rack is moving slowly as i have been busy with my 9-5 job. I have pretty much everything I need to complete it expect the amount of time to do so. I keep putting it off but I think since tomorrow is a holiday and I dont have anything to do I will work on it. Hopefully I can get most of it done tomorrow.

are these in that shrimp rack that you built before? btw hows the rack going for you?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would love to get some of these for work. I work at a place called Orange Soda so everything there is orange, including my current betta tank (everything is orange except for the black & white betta cuz an orange one would cost too much)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your betta would eat these shrimp and it would hurt your wallet..

I would love to get some of these for work. I work at a place called Orange Soda so everything there is orange, including my current betta tank (everything is orange except for the black & white betta cuz an orange one would cost too much)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are orange. I would check to see if you might be color blind. The top picture is more to their true color. If there was a yellow and one of these side by side there would be a big difference.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Pretty shrimp. But they look like yellow N. heteropoda to me - very nicely-colored N. heteropoda, but nonetheless... what distinguishes these guys from so-called "yellow cherry shrimp"?
The first pic certainly looks orange, click on the photo to make it bigger and then look at the date stamp and the orange in it, then at the shrimp and you'll see the orange having an orange reference.

The second pic is washed out green, one from his light like he said, and two, most lower end digital cameras tend to overdo the green somewhat. I just opened the photo in photoshop, did a few filter layers to wash out the green and the orange shows through much better.

Besides both those fact, niki is a big named shrimp breeder and wouldn't send the wrong shrimp or pass them off as something they're not, and I've been reading the forums going back years look for tips, info, and because thats what I do on a forum besides just read todays topics and Zid has been into this for a while and has posts going back to 2008 about shrimp, so I would take his word that they look orange and niki's word that she sent him what is known as the amber shrimp.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
It's probably the camera or the computer screen you are viewing it on. I'm sure they are very Orange IRL. Color is very subjective and a eternal PITA for the printing industry and branding in general. What the designer creates vs what is printed vs what is seen is an eternal struggle. That's why Pantone set standards for reference and even then it is an approximation.

For the record your picture looks yellow on my screen also but that really means nothing....subjective...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's probably the camera or the computer screen you are viewing it on. I'm sure they are very Orange IRL. Color is very subjective and a eternal PITA for the printing industry and branding in general. What the designer creates vs what is printed vs what is seen is an eternal struggle. That's why Pantone set standards for reference and even then it is an approximation.

For the record your picture looks yellow on my screen also but that really means nothing....subjective...
The bottom picture and the shrimp to the left does look a little yellowish. However the top picture does not. They are orange though.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

Yup. 99% of most computer screens can't reproduce proper colors and the ones that can, still need like a $500 calibration tool to set it up properly.

Here's the original shrimp, touched up a bit in photoshop, compared to one of my yellows. Maybe the difference is a bit more pronounced now.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you don't have yellows

Yup. 99% of most computer screens can't reproduce proper colors and the ones that can, still need like a $500 calibration tool to set it up properly.

Here's the original shrimp, touched up a bit in photoshop, compared to one of my yellows. Maybe the difference is a bit more pronounced now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My screen can, i have a Dell U2711 IPS panel (110% color gamut). Calibrated from factory on the sRGB and AdobeRGB color space.

It certainly is pumpkin, just not represented as well on that photo or that angle. Give them a week or two to settle and try taking clearer macro side shots on more natural lighting.

A number of things could affect color accuracy you percieve, like the camera, your browsers color management, lighting and most of all... ones vision. Some shrimps arent 100% opaque so the background might have a little effect to it too

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.