The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently (today) set up a Lifeguard Quiet One (quite oversized for my tank, but it was a heck of a deal), with a canister filter. I've got a 3/4" line coming out of my vivarium, and 2x 1/4" lines feeding back in (over a homemade waterfall). My pump runs warm, not hot, to the touch. Is this normal? Also, the tank has about 3-5 gallons of water in it. This pump is rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000GPH. Is there such a thing as too much filtering? I'm a bit new to the vivarium/terrarium scene, so please correct me if I've made errors in my terminology. AND, apparently, I've just noticed a slow leak. Seems Lifeguard pumps tend to leak since they are air cooled instead of water cooled...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yes, you made a terrible mistake which can be corrected by shipping the pump to...

Your post has garbled (to me) sizes. If I'm reading it correctly you have two quarter inch lines going into the tank and a three quarter inch line coming out? If that is the case, I suggest you are blowing water past the seals on the pump, not a leak.

The pump should be slightly warm to the touch. The cooling method for the pump should have no effect on leaking.

How about a small to medium power head as the pump for your few gallons of water?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me clarify: I have a 3/4" water line coming out, travelling through the pump, into a large canister filter, and when it comes out of the filter, it switches to (2) 1/4" lines. I only used these as they are much easier to work with when installing them into my waterfall. I could just as easily use (3) 1/4" lines, but if I remember my algebra, that doesn't mean that those 3 small lines would have the same flow rate as the single large line

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
why are you running a pump into a canister filter? Is the canister pump also running?

The cross sectional surface area of the 3/4" tubing is more than 3x that of three 1/4" tubes, so you would need more than 3 to avoid restricting flow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Again, bad terminology :-( Not a canister filter, a filter in a canister. It was a whole-house system with a high flow rate, so I converted it and added activated charcoal pellets, and a prefilter to block larger solids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts