The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’m currently upgrading my CO2 diffusion method on my 40g breeder from an in-tank ceramic diffuser to a NilocG 24” reactor.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good pump to run with the reactor? I don’t want to run it with my canister because I’m looking to avoid fluctuating injection rates.

1) Any specific pump recommendations?
2) If not, any guidance on the GPH I should look for on my tank?

In case it matters, my canister is the Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 which puts out 300gph already. TIA.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like eheim universal pumps. They have several models ranging from 80 to 900 gph. I actually use one in between my canister and reactor. With everything on one loop.
Hey thanks for the response. I’ve actually come across your 90U tank journal—really beautiful tank. Love the choice of rainbows.

So just to be clear because I’m a noob with canisters and reactors—you have the outtake tube of the filter going in to one of the ports on the pump, and then have a tube coming off the other end of the pump going into the reactor which then has another tube that goes into the tank all on the same loop, yeah?

Any idea what gph I would need for the pump?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
So just to be clear because I’m a noob with canisters and reactors—you have the outtake tube of the filter going in to one of the ports on the pump, and then have a tube coming off the other end of the pump going into the reactor which then has another tube that goes into the tank all on the same loop, yeah?

Any idea what gph I would need for the pump?
Yep, that's right. Out from the canister and into the pump. Out from the pump into the reactor. I then have a sterilizer between the reactor and the spraybar, but it's all on one loop. I actually just have the canister turned off because it's a lot louder than the eheim.

My eheim is 640gph for a 68 gallon tank and I have to throttle it down some. They have a model that is 320gph that I think would be a good fit for you.

There are of course lots of different pumps to choose from. This is just one I've used and like.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that's right. Out from the canister and into the pump. Out from the pump into the reactor. I then have a sterilizer between the reactor and the spraybar, but it's all on one loop. I actually just have the canister turned off because it's a lot louder than the eheim.

My eheim is 640gph for a 68 gallon tank and I have to throttle it down some. They have a model that is 320gph that I think would be a good fit for you.

There are of course lots of different pumps to choose from. This is just one I've used and like.
Awesome, thank you. I know Eheim is known for reliability, so I think that would be a good fit. All I’m concerned with is that it’s quiet and won’t lose a ton of its pumping power from being under the tank, which I’ve read that happens for some pumps. So your pump pulls the water through your canister and does all of the pump work? That’s interesting.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yep, it's powering the while system on its own no problem. It's way quieter than my fx4 but is not silent. The lower gph model is probably a fair bit quieter than the one I have though. I put it on a silicone trivet and used silicone tubing between it and the reactor to minimize vibration.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's powering the while system on its own no problem. It's way quieter than my fx4 but is not silent. The lower gph model is probably a fair bit quieter than the one I have though. I put it on a silicone trivet and used silicone tubing between it and the reactor to minimize vibration.
I see, okay I’ll keep it in mind that I may have to DIY something to minimize the vibration. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you are setting up the Niloc model with the bypass and super wide 90 at the top dont bother. Just return it and get your money back, its a bad design. I tried it and returned it after three days; the guy at Niloc admitted to me it cant handle even 4bps. It develops a large gas bubble at the top because the large 90 slows the flow and cant keep co2 bubbles in suspension.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are setting up the Niloc model with the bypass and super wide 90 at the top dont bother. Just return it and get your money back, its a bad design. I tried it and returned it after three days; the guy at Niloc admitted to me it cant handle even 4bps. It develops a large gas bubble at the top because the large 90 slows the flow and cant keep co2 bubbles in suspension.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
I really appreciate the heads up about potentially having problems! I’m going to give it a shot with the reactor for 4 reasons:
1) Faith in Collin and the NilocG brand
2) I went with the 24” for a 40g tank, which should be more than adequate
3) I’m running it independent of my canister
4) I already bought it and it was delivered lol

If it doesn’t work for me, do you have any idea if the Sera Flore 500 or 1000 would work? Or do you have any other recs for a reactor other than building my own? Trying to avoid DIY with the reactor specifically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.