The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know to much about water pumps, im making a wet dry system that will go up as high as 7 feet and 4 feet across. i need a good pump any ideas guys ??

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
For systems involving sumps, you have a lot of choices. You can use an insump pump such as a Mag and they will work fine.

However, I usually prefer externally mounted pumps, such as Iwaki. They will be more expensive, but will last almost forever. You'll have little trouble going up 7 feet, and across 4 with an external pump. External pumps can make more noise though, and it's much more involved to plumb one correctly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply

what do you think of this pump?

Eheim 1262 900GPH Universal pump, eheim also have one with less gph at 635 model number 1260

·
Registered
531 Posts
You won't get much flow with that much lift head on the Eheim. You can do a quick test by just putting it in place in a container of water and attaching some line to it at the proper height and watch the output as you raise and lower the line.

Jim

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Here is a calculator with some pumps listed.
http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Consider the flow you can get through your overflow too. No point in running 1000gph if your overflow only can handle 600gph.

Once you find a few likely candidates don't forget to research the amount of noise they make! My two Rios aren't nearly powerful enough for 7' head and they are too loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts