The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a rescape tonite or tomorrow and I have a question.
I know the swords are going to disturb substrate and make a big poopy mess. I'm going to replace them with Blyxa. Should I relocate my 5 tetras and 1 cory to a 2.5 bare nano or should I just have at it with the fish in there?

·
Registered
754 Posts
if you can catch them without stressing them too much i would recomend getting them out of the tank for the re-scape.

when you disturb that much substrate if you have any anaerobic pockets they will also be disturbed and could release some not so nice gases into the water.

It's funny I'm going to be removing a sword plant today too- good luck!

cheers-k

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you aren't in a hurry, I would pull one swordplant at a time, before each water change. Less likely to stress fish to much and maybe avoid green water. I try not to disturb more than 25 % of the substrate in between water changes. Maybe gravel vac only, that same area.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you aren't in a hurry, I would pull one swordplant at a time, before each water change. Less likely to stress fish to much and maybe avoid green water. I try not to disturb more than 25 % of the substrate in between water changes. Maybe gravel vac only, that same area.
I thought about that but the Blyxa is in the tank as we speak and its floating at the top. I think I need to get it planted asap

·
Registered
885 Posts
I just pulled 2 huge ones out of my tank yesterday. It was a huge mess and the roots literaly covered the entire floor of the tank, the roots were easily 3x the height of the plant. I had to replant 3/4 of the tank over again. Ended up being a huge project that will most likely become a complete rescape, hardscape and on.

no fish died but i think my MTS are keeping the gravel stirred up enought i dont have to worry on gas pockets in the soil.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will plant the blyxa in a shallow perforated pot of some sort and place it in the tank temporarily.
I will pull one sword at a time (I have 3 medium small) and then replant the blyxa within a couple weeks. I hope it won't stress it out too much by replanting twice in as many weeks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Swords are such amazing growers. Mine have literally taken over my tank. Out of 6 5" tall amazonicus I had over 10 3 months afterwards that are now as tall as the tank (almost 50 cms, don´t know that in inches...). I begun taken them out and they have been enough to fill the background of my 60 gallon tank where I have the silver dollar (he doesn´t like them).

Striking plants but the fish couldn´t swim anymore!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.