The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm in the preliminary stages of designing a puffer species tank- either redeye, redbelly or dwarf indian.

The tank is going to be low light, low current with lots of drift wood so will deff have some java ferns in there.

Can anyone reccomend:

1. What substrate to use (I heard puffers can sometime eat sand???)

2. Anymore plants to go in this set up- they must be hardy!

If anyone's got any experience in keeping puffers in a planted tank Id love to hear.

cheers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got two dwarf puffers in my planted aquarium! They share the tank with 20 Neon's, 12 Rummy nose, 2 Otto's and about a 100 shrimp! And believe it or not...... everyone is happy! I run lots of CO2 and high light :)

1) my substrate is 80% Fluorite and 20% play sand

2) I've got tons of plants!!

3) i love the puffers...... they really have a cat like personality :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had my fahaka in a lightly planted 120g. He did not mess with the plants much. I just had to make sure they where well rooted or her powerful tail could up them. Also some puffers really like sand substrate so they can cover themselves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My understanding is that most puffers are brackish water fish that may be able to survive in fresh water while they are young, but really need to transition to a higher salinity level as they grow. They also tend to feed on snails in the wild. The teeth of a puffer get naturally worn down by the hard snail shells so that they do not grow too much and create a situation where they get too long and either need to be trimmed by the aquarist, or problems eating will result.

There is a species of puffer from South America that is said to be a true freshwater species. It is Colomesus asellus.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dwarf Puffers (indian) are freshwater.

Must have dense planting to avoid the high risk of infighting between the dwarf puffers...one will eventually die. If you block line of sight and such, they're more likely to survive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dwarf Puffers (indian) are freshwater.

Must have dense planting to avoid the high risk of infighting between the dwarf puffers...one will eventually die. If you block line of sight and such, they're more likely to survive.
I was also told this...... but mine like to hang out together?

Maybe there a matted pair.... or just good buddies?

:red_mouth

·
Registered
712 Posts
Could be. There are exceptions to every rule. However, more often than not, dwarf puffers will be aggressive towards each other and other fish.

In my experience with DPs, behavior changes over time. The 2nd DP I got was initially very skiddish...for a good month. Then it did a 180 and started nipping every fish and torturing my 1st DP. It was re-homed soon after.

They could be buddies, but its safer to have a heavily planted tank, imo. I don't know much about mated pairs so I'll refrain from assuming here.

·
Registered
745 Posts
kingdave you are correct that there are puffer sold in LFS as "freshwater" that are truly brackish to marine as they age. There are also many truly freshwater puffers out there that are awesome to have. The best fish I ever owned was a fahaka puffer. Thepufferforum.com has a great library of puffers and accurate description of their care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.