The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Planted Tankers!

I've been quietly and slowly working on a new feature called pTracker for a few months now. A few weeks ago I asked select group of people to beta test the software. I put into motion their suggestions and fixed many bugs. I want to really put it through its paces and make it a solid, easy to use feature so I'm now opening it up to all members!

First what it does:

It creates a central place for you to track all of your tanks, no more cumbersome spreadsheets that get lost and can only be accessed from one place. You can track livestock, tests, sales, purchases, automatically log activity and set up automatic reminders through email and private message. View graphs of historical test results and historical spending/sales.

What I need from you:

Use it, abuse it, and let me know what needs changing. Whether you want to see an additional feature or you find a bug. If there is something that would prevent you from using it frequently, let me know. If you think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, I want to know that too!

The address: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pTracker.php

Feel free to reply to this thread or create a new one in this forum. Whichever works for you. You can also contact me by PM.

Regards!
- Kyle

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Argh! I deleted my tank by stupidity. It asked if I was sure and I meant to hit no. I am off to make a new tank.....

Edit: Adding the tank this time was MUCH easier. I appreciate the ability to type in the date and the suggestions given such as the T5HO and Flourite in the description page. I am looking forward to trying this out again.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Suggestion...When you edit your plants or fish, it would be nice if you could edit the name. Also, how do you put an image of your fish or plant in there? So far it is pretty cool. Also, where do you go to view other people's tanks if they made them public?

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suggestion...When you edit your plants or fish, it would be nice if you could edit the name. Also, how do you put an image of your fish or plant in there? So far it is pretty cool. Also, where do you go to view other people's tanks if they made them public?
Editing the name for fish and plants should be coming soon. So should uploading an image. Right now if you use the autocomplete and select an option that is from the plant and fish databases, it will automatically pull the image from there.

Viewing other people's public tanks is coming soon but not as soon as the other features.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Really cool so far.

Things I was thinking about that may be implemented but I couldn't figure out:

-When I put in costs or events or whatever, is there a way to hide one event (i.e. make one event non-public rather than hiding the whole tank)? B/c say I'm for example embarrassed about having purchased $60 worth of additives and potions in one go, but I still want it recorded for when *I* review my tank, it'd be nice to be able to hide such things from the public view.

-I know it allows you to link the tank listing to your Tank Journal by entering the URL, but I was wondering if the Events page updates when you post a new entry in the Tank Journal? If it doesn't that would be cool so as to keep them synced and allow ppl who stumble upon the ptracker listing to see what you've done recently without having to navigate out to the Journal. (It may already do this I just haven't tested it b/c I haven't had anything to post!)

Looks really great so far! Plantedtank is awesome BTW and thanks for keeping it up and thriving.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Think I like the tank profiles better. I don't care to get to technical that is why I have low tech tanks. lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet because I haven't read the comments yet, but a snails tab would be nice.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Here's something interesting. I can go in and other peoples plant&animal profile. Is that a good thing?
Is it because I'm a mod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
wonderful tool, thank you for having this out there. I love all the different areas it covers, something that is missing from other types of programs I have used.

The log is a great tool, but I do not care to see days that have no info in them. Going back to a time that you did something but you were unsure of when you did it would become a slow process because of this. I would much rather see only days I had info added, this would also become a log that everyone could easily get a story of your tank from.

It would be nice to edit log entries that you have made as well

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just begining to check it out and noticed a format issue. The following text is on the right of the view instead of below or above. (This is in the "1 of 2" first page where I will be entering settings.)

"Sitemap All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM."

It looks like this text is there for each page.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I also agree with the above... it would probably be more useful to have the option to hide dates that have no entries.

Also, I think it is probably very needed to have the option to edit or delete log entries... for example, I didn't know that entering fish would show up in the log, so I entered them as events, and now my log looks like I added 6 fish instead of 3.

I think it would be very helpful if there were a little button after each thing in the log that would take you to the edit for that entry or fish or plant... etc.

Also, I second the snails tab, or perhaps they could be included with shrimp under 'Inverts' or one tab for fish, one for plants, and one for all 'Other'.... or something like this. I can also see the possible need for 'Corals' or include them under the 'Inverts' or 'Other'... I would love to track all my tanks and not just the freshwater ones here... I really like the idea of having ALL the tracking that I might need in one location.

I also second the idea of having individual events with the option to show to public. Even the most experienced of us do some fishy things at times or are testing out a theory that we may not want to share until we see how it goes, and it would be nice to record them with the option for only us to see. Maybe they could then show as gray in our log and not show to anyone else.

Additionally, I can see a possible great use to having a tiny icon in front of the log events that shows where it was entered. For example.... a tiny fish icon infront of log events that are from the enter fish section... a tiny plant icon from enter plant section... and a tiny notepad from the enter event in the log section. This would really help us know where things came from, and that icon could be used as the icon for going to edit that entry, too.

Okay... I also did some entries for fish. I like the fact that I can enter a negative number to show that fish died or I sold them or something, but you may want to make some note in the fish section that that is how to show removal or death of fish. Then I can see great benefit from having a total of the current fish/plants/shrimp/etc. in the tank overview. Have it "GROUP BY name" and do a "SUM(numfish) AS totalfish" That should spit out the current total of each fish by name as long as the numfish column is a numeric and you are using MySQL.

Okay... I will quit pestering you and go play some more.

Thank you and Great Job, btw. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm really very new in the planted tank site, used this pTracker, it's pretty awesome idea but someone like me who really doesn't know anything about anything it's a learning curve for me to climb up.

For instance when I went in to put the fish name I knew that I have guppies, however if auto populate for generic name was there then that would be better.

Moreover I really have no idea of what types of plants I am using. if there were some visual reference for a novice like myself to choose from online library, then I think that would have been better for selection.

I know most of my ideas are silly but I want to make things simpler for myself. If some ideal conditions for plants like temperature and CO2/Fertilizers could have been there that would have been even better.

Anyway thanks a lot for such a great site & application.

Goodluck

·
Registered
322 Posts
Does the tank tracker require a certain brower? I have a mac with safari and I can't see anything at all except the blue view tank and add tank buttons. It's all white under that and the buttons only make the page reload. nothing happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts