The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the past couple days the male digging this deep hole in the sand next to a big rock. he's also become much more dominant and aggresive, only allowing the female in his territory. He even started flaring up at me when I tried taking his picture, something he never did before. Right now the two are hanging around the cave they've made in the sand under the rock. I'm excited! Here's a pic I took with my cell phone, it was hard to get a good one because he was flaring up so much!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Beautiful! I really want a firemouth! Do you think they would eat a full grown black neon tetra? (they are bigger than normal neons) How aggressive are they when not breeding? Would one be ok in a 55g with a festivum, a pair of keyholes, corys, otos, and various tetras?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't say for sure if they'd eat the tetras, neons, or otos, its possible. The smallest fish I have with mine are Swordtails. They don't bother them at all. For the most part they're not too aggressive, but there is definately a hierarchy. You'd be fine with one in a 55g and I've heard they're okay with other similar cichlids like festivums. I actually have 4 adults and 3 juveniles in my 55g and everything is fine.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
congrats!

Fire mouths are one of my favorite fish no doubt.:thumbsup:

These guys will eat ANYTHING thing that will fit in their mouths. I have actually seen them eat things that didn't fit in there either:eek5:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still don't see any eggs yet, but they have one helluva cave built. I saw the male moving sand out with his mouth, now they've got this cavern under a big rock.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One of the more peaceful cichlids, and my favorite. I had one for years with my black skirt tetras and otos and he never ate anyone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they spawned and I now have what I'm guessing to be about 50 or 60 free swimming fry. I moved them into they're own ten gallon bare bottom tank with a sponge filter, heater, and some java moss and pennywort floating on top. They're eating baby brine shrimp. I'm one happy fish keeper!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day three of free swimming fry. I have seen only one casualty, out of at least 50 fish. This has really inspired me and I feel stoked about the fish keeping hobby!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.