The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ooookay... I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I just purchased what I thought was a really neat looking bristlenose pleco sp ancistrus something or another, but while cruising around on planetcatfish.com, I discovered that it's very likely one of these:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=208

if only because he looks EXACTLY like the one labeled "Juvenile" (I'd have posted the image, but it showed up as "HOT LINKING NOT PERMITTED" so I won't.)

and now I'm in a mild panic... do I take him back to the store? How does one feed a catfish prawns anyway? buy them at the market raw and drop 'em in? Do I get frozen cooked ones? he looks kinda tiny for prawns... but it says he'll get to 9 and a half inches! I may just have to shine a flashlight into his little cave and snap a photo and compare........... :icon_eek:

it says he's not a predator, so probably won't bug my angels... but... um.. should I go back and get a BN? If I also get a BN, will they fight?

If anyone has any experience with these guys, I'd love to hear stories... Beautiful fish, though... gorgeous... worth the 25 bucks I paid if he doesn't kill everything.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
25$ is very cheap.
I love these fish, they are wonderful and I have 11 of them, 4 in a client's tank, they do get good sized...........and 7 fry about 1.75" long now that have been raised.

The fry are easy to care for, I just feed them Hikari algae wafers and they and the adults seem to do fine, but they do like frozen worms , shrimp etc as well.

We like different foods, so do fish.
They do need room and many caves if you plan on keeping several.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
BTW, I keep them in a community tank with tetras, cories and other plecos including long fin bushy noses.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom!

I no longer fear for my angels. :) Specially since one of them likes to hide in his cave with him... I think this weekend I'll go and get the BN which was not nearly as attractive looking, but what I was actually looking for in the first place. I'll probably build a few more rock caves. I think if I'm creative I can get a few more in my 45. Otherwise, they may have to make do with all my red ...lotus? lillies? I always forget what they're called....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Say, Will he always hide all day long? I know it's hard to tell each individual's personality, but he's awefully keen on hiding all day. I know he's nocturnal... But does this fish ever just end up popping out and showing off? He is quite gorgeous, and I would like to see him once in a while in the light. Perhaps I should just get some Moonlights?

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's the problem with catfish and pleco's; you find a beauty, then hardly ever see it after you get it home. If it wasn't for the absence of algae in my tanks I'd wonder whether the BN's were still alive. They're rarely visible when the lights are on, and dive for cover if they see movement outside the tank on the rare occasions they are out in the open by day.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, today I discovered that he WILL come out for sinking algae wafers. I think he's not the type to actually eat much algae on the walls. He's the only fish I ever built a home for (even if the angelfish have found a way in and out and tend to hang out in there and party sometimes) and I'm starting to think of calling him "your Majesty" since he's so dang picky and sulky. At least I had the foresight to put his home so it backs up against the front of the tank. That way I can always find him and make sure he's still alive. I can only hope that when he's bigger he'll be a little less shy and show himself off! (or herself...)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my goodness... So it's been a while since I posted the original post... My pseudocanthicus leopardus cat decided to make an appearance today in the daytime with all the lights on! twice! for about a minute each. (and of course my camera's out of batteries... sigh) ANYWAY, it's amazing how I put him in and he was flat and about an inch and a half long... now he's this huge thick thing maybe four inches long and... it's just weird that you put a fish in and don't see it forever and then he pops out and says, "Hi! I'm almost the biggest fish in the tank!"

Wow... he's out again.. I need to run to the store and get some batteries... if he's gonna be all social... !!!!!!! :::excited:::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts