The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both sunset hygro and the normal polysperma hygro. Both are tropica potted. The sunset grows considerably slower and looks bushy with a lot of stems and full of leaves. I just usually prune the top leaves when they begin growing upwards and have a nice bushy midground plant.

My regularg Hygro on the other hand started growing like crazy with fewer taller stems and growing very unpleasant roots on the lower sections, loosing most leaves. I would like to build a shorter but fuller look, just like my sunset looks. Any ideas on how to prune it to achieve this look? Should I prune it way down to get rid of the ugly roots and let it bloom again from scratch?

This is the sunset, looking very nice. don´t have a pic of te hygro to show the difference

·
Registered
992 Posts
you can do it either way. People say the same "planting tops" thing about L Aromatica and other large stem plants, but I just hack em and let em grow back. If you make your trims behind other plants, or hardscape, you'll never see the water roots, or bare stems at the bottom, and you'll be rewarded with a much more bushy and lush plant in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts