The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...like the noob I am, I trimmed the tops of a lot of my Sagittaria down and replanted it twice. So now, of course, all of the old leaves are disintegrating. I do have a lot of new growth that looks great, so I guess the plant has the potential to do well. But I'm having a big issue with keeping water parameters in check. I was getting ready to rip the plant out but figured I would post on here first.

I bought a liquid test kit (as advised :) and found Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm and then my Nitrate came in at 80ppm!!!!! I have been trying to pull off any decaying leaves as I see them, but just end up causing more damage.

When I first got that reading I changed 50% of the water, followed by another 50% the next day, and 35% every day after (now five days of the 35%) I rinsed my filter pad and all of the holsters (aqueon quiet flow) in old tank water, and vacuumed gravel (I do this every two weeks anyway) With all of the water changes I think I started a mini cycle of the tank - todays test came up with somewhere between 0 and .25 ppm Ammonia, though Nitrate is down to 20ppm and Nitrite holding at 0.

All livestock in tank is accounted for, so it's not a dead fish causing the readings.

Do I rip it out, do I get more live plants to help with getting rid of nitrates, is there a way to prune the dying sections of the Sag without killing off more of it? Do I dare do another water change to get rid of ammonia....or do I just leave it alone for a few days?

Bah

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that trimming the top caused the entire leaf to die off? If it doesn't I have a bigger problem than I thought...

Substrate is 3:1 Pea Gravel and CaribSea FloraMax

About ferts...I have CPDs and cherry/amano shrimp, what can I dose without harm.

Should I do vacuum maintenance once a month instead of every two weeks? I've done it that way for years :( Oh my poor fish, they must hate me.

Sorry for dumb Q's, I completely new to aquatic plants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.