The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my white clouds started to develope a small bump (1-2mm)on the right side of its body near the stomach area several months ago. i let it go at first hoping the fish might get better on its own because it was eating well and acting normal. it remained relatively small until recently it started getting larger (2mm wide and 2mm protrusion) and now has ruptured the skin. it looks as if the red tissue under the skin is pushing through the wound. the fish sims and acts normal but has little appetite (not surprising). iv'e been treating with antibiotics for a week (erytromicin) with no posative result. any last minute suggestions/posibilities before i euthenize the fish? i searched and googled but wasn't having much luck. theres no visible worms or parasites on or around the wound. and to add the fish is alert and active. colors look good and although it doesnt appear to eat its not looking emaciated so it must be eating.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If an antibiotic hasn't helped, I'd try an anti-parasitic.

A salt water dip might also help.

I'd also be sure to QT the fish if you haven't already, in case whatever it's got is contagious.

I personally don't euthanize fish unless they look like they're in pain and getting worse when I've run out of treatment ideas.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had something similar happen on an angelfish recently. It didn't seem to bother her at all, but it was a small sore compared to her body size. After it ruptured, it was red and nasty looking for a few days and then healed up and went away.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks laural and ariel....fish looks and still acts totally normal. i really hate to euthenize a fish if theres a chance it may survive. i guess its trying to decide that fine line between suffering and just sick. so far i would have to say the fish does not look to be suffering so i will try the anti parasitic next and see how things go.

and to add i did put the fish in a hospital tank just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts