The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no use for it in a freshwater tank...you dont have the protein build-up you would have in a saltwater tank (nasty foam ontop of water)...it would be overkill and a waste of money...spend that extra money on a good filter...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don’t know it would be good for Dissolved Solids if you have a high bio load and you can get a air powered one for 30 bucks from DRs foster & Smith that GARF uses in their bulletproof reef tanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont know how big your tank is and no offense but a $30 protein skimmer is going to be junk and not make an effective difference...Nothing that regular filtration for freshwater tanks couldn't handle...if you look at the prices of a GOOD protein skimmer that truely extracts larger molecules from your water, why would you spend that much for a piece of equipment that won't make that much of a difference...here is an article from www.aquariumfish.net...

http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/protein_skimmer.htm

This is a very good article at breaking the whole process down of how a protein skimmer works and in what circumstances you would need one...I especially like the point about the cost of freshwater vs. saltwater...you dont need a lot of additives to keep a good freshwater going besides your regular chemical, bio, and mechanical filtration

If you are that worried about proteins and wastes in your water buy an extra bio filter to add onto your existing filtration...bio filtration is a great way of get spectacular water...it just takes a little effort to get it cooking in your filter but once established its effortless if maintained...

Do what you feel is best for your tank, but personally think that Protein Skimmers on freshwater tanks is just money down the drain...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.