The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Long time reader, first time poster.

I acquired some Proserpinaca palustris from my LFS and planted it in my new nano tank at work.

When purchased, the leaves were green, tinged with red kind of like this:

However, I came in to work on Monday and the leaves have changed shape dramatically:

I've seen a couple other images of the plant on the internet with leaves that look almost this skeletal but not this extreme. I've gone through descriptions of nutrient deficiencies in plants and this doesn't seem to match up with any of them. Is it a nutrient toxicity? The other plants seem to be doing fine.

Tank size is 5.5 gallons with fairly high light. I dose:
~1.5ml SeaChem Trace 2x a week
~1.5ml Seachem Iron 3x a week
~1.5ml Flourish Excel Daily
Tank is still cycling and NH4 has dropped to about .5 ppm.

I don't dose macros yet because the tank is fairly new and the substrate is still leaching Ammonia into the water column.

Thoughts?
Edit: Sorry. Should have posted this in the Plant specific subforum :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is also quick to respond to changes, can look very different from one day to the next.
I've noticed this, too. The new growth on mine was looking pale and gnarly. I diagnosed it as calcium deficiency, threw some crushed oyster shell in the filter and within a couple days those new leaves perked right up. Blew me away.

That's why, when those leaves started looking like they do in the circled photo, I got concerned that the oyster shell had buffered my water up to a pH the plant didn't like or something.

I've really fallen in love with this plant because of how much and how quickly it changes based on the environmental parameters!

Also the fact that it is so slow growing. No need to prune frequently!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What are your conditions not that can replicate lol

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
I inject co2 and have high lighting. Even with the fixtures turned down half power it's still got to be high. Modified EI dosing. I personally think it's the lighting that affects the leaf shape more than anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The Cuban stuff (also palustris) has leaves that are not as finely divided. Material we have collected locally looks almost like Myriophyllum.

There is also P. pectinata, where the leaves are always finely divided, even above water. It's smaller, redder and not as easy to grow.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Lighting will affect how they look. Mine are less spindly and much wider in the leaf.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are two species. The 'Cuba' version is a wider leaf naturally I think.

are the ones in the back right and front right of the Cuba also cuba? or are they regular? mine look like those two

1 - 15 of 15 Posts