The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small clump of hairgrass in my tank that is doing OK, but isn't really spreading the way I would like it to. I would like it to eventually spread to fill in about 60% of the foreground in my 30g. I recently bought another small pot of hairgrass and was thinking of dividing it and planting the divided shoots into a few pots outdoors in the full sun. Would it be best to do this emersed or submerged?

·
Registered
370 Posts
first take the clump of grass out of the pot and remove the foam stuff. Divide the clump into smaller pieces about a square cm. plant them about an inch apart across the area you want filled.
With dwarf hair grass you need good light, co2 and a nutrient rich substrate to get the carpet effect your looking for.
In my experience it takes about a month for the grass to get established then it should take off. I had 10 pots that covered the entire tank in about 4 months.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm sure you can grow it emersed outdoors if you want to. To ease the transition, I would put some transparent plastic bags loosely over the pots (transition being... they might have been in water for some time, so they would need to get back to growing emersed). I wouldn't put the pots in the full sun, not at least immediately and not with the bags over them. The pots should probably sit in some inches of water all the time. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. Do you think that they might grow faster emersed?

·
Registered
706 Posts
once emersed, you dont even need to keep it bog like, it grows like a grass (more like a weed actually) all over my yard, it pops up in the damndest places and makes a pretty nice ground cover, though it cant take foot traffic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another money post! I notice that your location states HI. Is that Hawaii? Though it is found in most of North America, I wonder if it is frost tolerant.

Also, I was going to use vermiculite as a potting medium and stand the pots in water mixed with soluble macro & micro nutrients, sort of a hydroponic setup. Any comments?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, we have the E. acicularis growing here in Finland, and the south of Finland is about level with Anchorage. ;) So yes, it is winter hardy (well, at least some parts of it, and some populations). :D

I'd use just regular potting soil. The soil & pot standing in water works great with the swords - at least for me! Vermiculite on its own seems too light a medium to me - maybe lighten the soil with some? But on the other hand, I'm quite sure it can grow in just vermiculite as well. That might not be as messy as soil. Hmm.. why not use regular sand (it's cheaper)? ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've done it. Separated and transplanted the pot into 6 small pots, immersed up to the soil line. They are in vermiculite in the shade with a shot of macro & micro nutrients int the water they are standing in. Maybe I'll start my own farm:cool:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i have it growing in a ferrero roche' container in my room, it is spreadeing.
it's in sand with just a little water over the sand,

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How fast is it growing?

Day 3, mine looks a little burnt. Maybe a little too much sun, too early. Maybe it will spring back to life.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
faster than in the tank, but still fairly slow.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes,HI is Hawaii, it is pretty UN-demanding once you get it to its emersed form. i just put it in pots like you have of garden soil and just set them in my outdoor water gardens, no ferts at all, they fish/shrimp provide enough. also, for sun, maybe half a day full sun is more than enough to get weed like growth from it. regularly pull it up from the rest of my yard, the seeds seem to spread very easily once established. strangely, it seems to grow better and greener when it get watered like a normal plant, versus being constantly wet (bog conditions), just water every day and dont let the soil get completly dry.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little tufts!

There is at least a sign of life in each of the 6 pots I divided the dwarf hairgrass into. One of the pots is showing good growth. I will post a pic maybe tomorrow. Today I am overcome by the heat and don't feel so great.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally, a pic.

For the first month, growth was really slow. Two changes (IMO) caused the growth to pick up. First, the temperature went from an average of 32° for the daytime high (about 90°F) to around the mid twenties (70° F - 78°F) and, I added some compost to the water tray. I think that at the current rate of growth, I may re-divide and start four more water trays by mid August.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Growth is steady if slow. The roots are growing through the bottoms of the clay pots, and they are over 4" long coming out of the bottom of the best pot. All the pots have seed pods at the top of the stems. I think I will divide them next week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just a quick question here. Doesn't the emersed growth die off once it is submersed? It always has for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some species, like this one, can grow either immersed or emersed. I'm growing it emersed until I transplant it because of convenience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts