The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought some java fern, but it's really a bunch of small rhizome cuttings bunched together, so, what is the best way to attach them to my driftwood?

Several cuttings bunched together or seperate each cutting and tie seperately?

What I'm worried about is that since each cutting is a seperate plant, they'll be competing for light, instead of sharing nutrients to the same plant from different leaves...

:help:

TIA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great, thanks Ashappar! I'm sitting at the table with a bucket of java ferns getting ready to tie them to my driftwood... kinda tedious but enjoyable

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished

Here's what I did:

I got a container and put tank water in it, and the large bunch of jfern.

Then, I started pulling it apart, seperating each little rhizome cutting (there were a lot, I didn't count, but a lot).

I seperated them into which ones had both ends cut off, and which ones had an end that was cut and the other that had the round tip (part of the rhizome that will keep growing forward, and tied those bunches to areas on the driftwood that would allow plenty of room for growth.

The smaller pieces that were cut on both ends, I also tied side by side, and tied them to areas of driftwood that would require the rhizomes to spread out in different areas to grow (i.e. on awkward edges/branches of the wood) since those pieces were more likely to shoot runners from the sides, I tried staggering them as much as I could.

It worked out nicely as far as look, but only time will tell as I wait to see if any start turning black.We'll see in a few months I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take better pics with the digicam as soon as I get a chance, here are some quick snapshots with my cellphone:

There's another large piece of driftwood in the tank that I attached more Jfern to, but for some reason tmobile is dropping the ball on uploading the pics I took to my album.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts