The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm just wondering if anyone have propagation tips for buce?
I've gotten a package of single pants of various types and want to propagate it up before applying it to my aquascape.
Is growth faster emersed or submerged ?

Thanks
M

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I let mine grow (in the substrate or tied onto hardscape) until they're looking a bit leggy and have new roots extending down between the lower leaves. Then trim off the top with small sharp scissors, making sure to get at least one or two roots with the piece I cut. Replant the top. Repeat in a month or so. Yeah, it's slow going- that's why buces cost more than some other plants I assume.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would be cautious "planting" like some other responses have said. You need to be sure not to bury the rhizome, or it will rot. The rhizome should be attached to a piece of hardscape so it doesn't get pushed below the substrate. Even if you want a buce growing somewhere that you don't have hardscape, just glue it to a small piece of lava rock and push the lava rock into the substrate, leaving the rhizome exposed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm open to being corrected, but I was always under the assumption that Buce needs to be treated like Anubias, so it would rot if the Rhizome was planted

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I've had mine planted like this for over two years. I was dubious at first about it. I used to be careful just to bury the roots with rhizome on top of substrate but they would keep floating loose. One day I got annoyed and shoved a few down deeper, figured I would let the roots take better hold and then tug them up again to expose the rhizome after a week or so. Forgot to do that and by the time I remembered, realized they were actually growing better than the ones tied on driftwood. So I left them like that.

But for someone new to growing plants, yeah probably better safe than sorry and keep them well clear of the substrate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bit late. But you can bury the rhizome partially as long as it still gets some waterflow.

As for growth speed. Assuming u inject unlimited levels of co2 and light they actually grow faster submerged as their leaves are thinner and it takes less energy to produce. Problem is 1 algae outbreak and months of growth are GONE.

I saw on youtube bucephalandra can also show their colors when grown emersed, but you need to grow them in super dim light. I'm still testing that theory myself so I cant say its true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts